Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with starter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockyRider13, Dec 12, 2001.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

My car lost all electricity yesturday, except for the lights, and the interior lights. This had happened the day before, but the car had been able to start right back up afterward. I don't know if these things have anything to do with my problem but, I had been hearing weird noises after shut down, and the day earlier I had heard a loud pop while accelearting. When I called my mechanic and explained what had happened, he thought that it was one of three things; ground from battery to block, battery to starter, or a wire/fuse from starter to ignition. I checked the ground and the connection, and they looked good. While I was under the starter I noticed a loose orange wire. My question is, is the orange wire the fuse, or do my problems lie somewhere else.

Be a simple, a real simple man
    -Lynyrd Skynyrd

2. Blazinit

Blazinit Registered Member

I am under the assumption that your truck will not start. If this is the "wire" that I am thinking, it is a fusible link. It will attach to your starter solenoid. Check the solenoid wires and see if there is a wire fragment hanging off, if so, go to any GM dealer and request a piece of fusible link and wire it in just like any other wire....at least that's what I did when it happened to me...good luck!

'84 K5 Blazer 4"Rancho R/B w/Quad Diamond Back front 350/TH700r4/NP208/35" BFG AT/10 bolt F&R
    Washington, USA

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I second that. IIRC, there should be two fusible links from teh starter to fuse panel, and one is lights, and the other one powers everything else basically. If it fails, you won't be able to start it. Sometimes they fail, but not quite, so they work, then don't, then work, then don't, etc., just like any other bad connection.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?