Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with steering arm

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snidgen, May 17, 2000.

1. snidgen

snidgen Registered Member

Im installing a four inch lift on my 72 k5 and would like to know any suggestions for removing my old steering arm. I have removed the three retaining bolts but the damn thing wont budge. The intructions say some light taps with a hammer will work it loose...NOT Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Peace,love,and 4wd is all you need

2. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

put some heaton the steering arm with a torch and hit it with a good size hammer.should work.Brady

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

LIGHT TAPS!!!!! never had one come off with light taps. maybe in a perfect world. use heat if you can. there are 3 cone shaped wedges in there that have to release before it will come off. heat it and beat it!!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

And don't forget the BFH....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem...get it red hot with a rosebud tip with some oxgen and acetling (i cant spell it but u can prob. figure it out) then wack the H@ll out of it..then with some pliers lift the cones out and then lift the arm off...might take awhile but i will come off.

Chaz

BTW....like eagle said...a BFH dose always help.

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

6. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I agree, heat and hammer. I just did this on my '76 K5. I beat the crap out of it with no heat and it wouldn't move, but then I got the arm pretty hot, but not glowing red, and it came off fine. As soon as you can get the arm to start moving, beat it back down into place, and you should be able to get ahold of the cone-shaped washers and pull them off the studs. I just got the washers loose and then got them off, and then the arm just falls off.

Be careful with the heat - I quickly wasted my upper ball joint - the grease catches on fire very easily :)

And be careful not to screw up the threads on the studs.

Later!

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer