Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help With Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1fastchevy, Mar 28, 2007.

1. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

Down to some small details, do I need to change the sterring box out of my 2 wd 87' chevy or is it just the arm, i swaped in 3/4 ton axles front and back, with 8" lift and 38.5's, it was 2 wd now 4wd, all thats left is steering box and brake lines, I was going to put a new 4wd box in but if I dont have to it would be nice, my is tight and no leaks,Dave

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

2WD and 4WD boxes are the same except for the sector shaft. If your truck was 2WD and you are going to use the stock push-pull type setup (I hope you're not with 8" of lift), then yes you need a 4WD or you at least need to swap in a 4WD sector shaft. If you are going to crossover steering then you want he 2WD one.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are doing crossover steering then you will only need to change out the arm. I believe the Supelift arm is #1104. There are a couple others too, but I don't know the number. If the front axle is set up for stock style steering then you'll need to swap the box or the shaft. You should be able to pick up a 4wd box cheap. Most people can't give them away after swapping to a 2wd box for crossover. Don't get rid of your 2wd box if you plan on doing the swap later.

Side note: while the box is off get the steering box brace kit at a minimum or that and the weld in kit. Cheap insurance.:wink1:

4. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

No crossover for now, I'll be happy with just getting it back on the road after this build, that will be part 2 , Not sure on the sector shaft, I''ll change the box and save the 2wd for the crossover, Thanks

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I may be completely misreading this. There is no reason to change the box. If I understand, you went from a 2WD truck and transformed it to a 4WD. Correct?

The only reason to swap the box from a 4wd box to a 2wd box is to enable the use of the 1104 steering arm for the x-over. There shouldn't be a reason to swap the 2wd box to a 4wd box.

As already stated, leaving a push pull steering with an 8" lift is dangerous. You will want to add a steering brace before too long as well as crossover.

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Just like the crossover arm won't fit on a 4WD box, a standard push-pull arm won't fit on a 2WD box.

If he is running the stock style steering, he needs a 4WD steering box (or at least a 4WD sector shaft).

7. AZ79K5Project

Thx. I must be brain dead tonight. Just got back from 3 days in Las Vegas - I'm a little tired.

8. AZ79K5Project

Dead horse - time to beat:

Please correct me if I am wrong - Like that has ever been a problem around here:D:

IIRC - The 1104 arm can be oriented to either a push pull or side to side steering on the 2WD box. The 2wd box could be used and the 1104 arm attached in the orientation that is needed.