Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with steering.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chrisblazzer89, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

OK my Friend has a 90 K5 blazer and his steering has a lot of play. He just got the bearings replaced,calipers,tie rods ends,draglink,and tierod. All of the things he got where new but he said that it bearly made a difrence what could be the problem?

I told him to check for frame cracks and mabe get a Xj stereeing shaft but he is scared about the XJ stereeing shaft:D What should he check for?

Btw he also has a 4" lift on 32s

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Throwing a steering shaft at it isn't gonna fix it. Make it work STOCK right, THEN upgrade.

First thing I'd check is draglink and tie rod ends. I know you said theyr'e replaced, but... jack the truck up, and check for play in those.

Also check ball joints by wiggling the tires up-n-down while they're off the ground. Ball-joints are ... fun. :rolleyes:

Check for frame cracks and loose bolts on the steering box. Heck, if it's bad, make sure the bolts are THERE.

Also, before you go throwing money at the steering shaft, I'd put in a bolt-in steering brace, assuming the frame isn't cracked and needs a weld-in one too.

Finally, it's possible the steering box is thrashed, especially if the rest of the steering system was worn and/or abused. I s'pose the check there is to move the steering wheel back and forth (power off is prolly easiest) and have the other guy watch the steering arm.

-- A

3. Chrisblazzer89

Ok my friend has lil mecanical knowhow so he gets it all done at a shop it was all done 2 days ago. He says his truck has more play them my truck and my truck has a 4" lift 38.5 swampers TSLs and a cracked frame. so i dont know mabe this weekend I will go help him figure out whats wrong. so how do i check the draglink and tie rod ends?

I really want him to get it fixed hes already thinking about getting a jeep.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

get the front end off the ground, jack stands under the frame so you have no weight on the steering system or wheels, then grab things and shake them looking for play. I usually slap a pipe wrench on items like the drag link to get a little more leverage on them. Then move it backand forth to see how much play you get before it starts trying to move something. I'm willing to bet his frame is cracked. Before I fixed mine I could get a 1/2 turn out of the sterring wheel in each direction before the truck would respond to steering input.

Did your friend get a new steering arm when he put his lift in? Or any kind of steering correction?

5. Chrisblazzer89

He bought it lifted from the PO so i dont know.
    Any pics so I can see what to look for?

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

7. Chrisblazzer89

OK i just went to look at his truck. Everything looks good no cracks or anything. He went to get it inspected and failed reason being that he has to much bumpsteer. What could it be?

8. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

He's got bump steer probably because there is so much play in the system. I've seen a lot of threads on here complaining of loose steering. Mine has the same problem only it's in the steering box.

9. Chrisblazzer89

He says hes gonna replace his box with a new one is this a good idea?

10. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Save the old one in case it doesn't work. I got a rebuilt one from Kragens (I know, bad idea) and it was just as loose.

One thing people don't always realize after driving nice BMW's and Toyota cars is that big trucks have always had somewhat loose steering when compared to cars. Now, mine is REALLY loose, but I can drive it ok as long as I contantly pay attention and correct the steering every second or two.

I'm still looking for a god solution. So far I think my best chance is to swap in a newer box to see if they are any better.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

And you guys complain about California ;) At least ALL we have is Nazi smog.

Did we decide if your friend had a new steering arm? If not, that would 'splain the bumpsteer.

-- A

12. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Blow your power steering pump. Driving down the road its sweet, but turning into a parking spot is a real work out. :haha:

13. Chrisblazzer89

he does not have a new steering arm that came with the lift