Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with suspension?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr. Jimmy, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

I need help with what I thought was a braking problem to begin with. The Jimmy steering wheel turns to the left when applying brakes going forward and when backing up the steering wheel moves to the right. I believe this is being caused by the front axle rotating when stopping and moving steering arm. I have checked suspension but can't find any thing wrong,truck has a raised steering arm. What's the cure for this?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> My truck does this too, and I beleive that the cause is as follows (stick with me hear, might be a bit hard to explain) - In my case, I have lifted springs that are somwhat soft. Now, when you brake, the weight transfers to the front of the truck, causeing the springs to compress. WHen this happens with lifted springs, the axle moves rearwards due to the spring going from a positive arch to a more level orientation. Since the steering arm goes front to back, the movement of the axle affects the steering as you have mentioned. I don't think that there is much that you can do about it, other than going to crossover steering. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

Sounds exactly like what my truck does. I've still got a braking problem on top of that, the brakes some times pull the truck to the right while I'm fighting the steering wheel pull to the left, lot of fun at times and not good for towing a boat which is primarily what I bought the Jimmy for. Does anyone know if the stock suspension does this?