Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1984k5, Dec 27, 2003.

1. 1984k5

1984k5 Registered Member

I just bought a 93 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab it has a bad trans and I want to put a 4 speed in it can anyone help me find the right trans and all the rest to do the swap? maybe someone has the stuff for sale? that would be a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

81 and newer SM465, then bolt up an IFS (drivers side drop) NP241.

You might have problems with finding a hydro bell that works and has the slave on the passenger side. Most (if not all) 465 bell's have the slave or linkage on the drivers side and it would interfere with the front driveline for you.

A better swap would be a NV4500/NP241. It would be almost a direct bolt in deal. You'd get the overdrive as well as a granny low first gear, and the factory bell would work. You could even swap in a 32 spline input into your existing T-case and bolt it up without any trouble at all.

You will need the clutch pedal, clutch master and clutch slave for your era truck too. You may also have to cut an access hole for the shifter in the tranny tunnel. Most likely the tunnel is already dimpled for the shifter from the factory.

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Most (if not all) 465 bell's have the slave or linkage on the drivers side and it would interfere with the front driveline for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the gap from the '88 "new body style" trucks until the NV4500 was used? I thought there are a few years inbetween in which the 465 was used in the IFS trucks...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

92 was the first year for the NV4500...

I guess a guy would have to either source the correct bell from GM or a boneyard. I completely forgot the 465's were used in the 88-? IFS trucks as an option. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I completely forgot the 465's were used in the 88-? IFS trucks as an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only reason I know this was because a tone time I cross-referenced the 465 flywheel with the 4500 ones in case I went 4500 or one piece rear main block. (to keep options open) The years of the trucks involved led me to that discovery. I've actually only seen one 465 equipped '88+ IFS truck, but I know there are more out there.

Why I'd ever need to find another one, thankfully I'll never know.

6. 1984k5

1984k5 Registered Member

Thanks for all the great information now I can start looking for the parts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif