Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with the angle of my dangle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mollyman, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

I have an 81 sub. From the looks of it I've got an NP208 with a slip yoke and a 12 bolt rear. I am going to be lifting it for the first time, 4 inches in the back 3" in the front all new springs from tuff country and run 33x10.5 s. What should I do about my driveshaft angle? Will it be fine, do i need to get rid of the slip yoke, do i need to shim the back axle? Any advice would be great!!! Uuummm did i also mention i would like to spend as little as possible since the lift kit, with all the goodies, is going to take a large bite out of my wallet. Thanks!!!!!

2. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

With a suburban your DS angle will probably be fine. You've got a long enough wheelbase. What I would be concerned about is the length of the shaft and the slip yoke in the 208. At full droop of the rear you'll have a tendency to want to pull the yoke out of the case. It also can put unwanted stresses on the tailcone of the case and cause cracking.

Best way to combat this is either get a longer DS made or go with a SYE kit. (I'm not sure if a SYE kit is available for the 208 though. I know one is made for the 241.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Due to the long wheel base I don't think you will have much trouble. I would be more worried about doing something about the 1/2 ton rear diff. in a vehicle this big.

4. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

If he's not doing anything "hardcore" he'll be fine with the 10B rear and 33's.

5. mollyman

mollyman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I am not going to be doing anything hardcore. Would that SYE kit for the 241 work on a 208 or maybe would anyother kit work on a NP 208???