Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with the torque converter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tmaxxer9, Jun 15, 2003.

1. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

ok i took out my tranny and torque converter to have thetranny rebuilt. so anyway, i waws wondering if the torque converter has to go back on the same way it came off?

2. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

it doesnt matter which bolt holes you use from converter to flexplate, just make sure it is pushed all the way into the tranny. the 2 notches on the converter have to line up inside the tranny. just keep wiggling it up and down as you turn it slow and it will pop on. you will know its on when its about and inch or so recessed from the face of the tranny. i hope you are replacing the converter. if your tranny went bad there is contaminated fluid in there, and it would suck if it went bad and you had to pull the tranny again. plus tranny shops wont warranty a tranny alot of times unless you get a new one.

3. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

the converter is fine, the only reason my tranny went bad, is because when i got the truck, the idle was set to low and when i was at a stop sign i had to hold the brake and the gas at the same time. and see i wasn't smart enough to put it in neutral. but hey thanx for the help.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the converter is fine, the only reason my tranny went bad, is because when i got the truck, the idle was set to low and when i was at a stop sign i had to hold the brake and the gas at the same time. and see i wasn't smart enough to put it in neutral. but hey thanx for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

that could be converter cauaing that, especially if has lockup feature, could be stuck locked and if it was then engine would be bogged down in gear at a stop and would porobably die or damn near die every time you stop in gear.

also know that th350 and 400 converters interchange and /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but not 700r4 or 2004r or 200 or powerglide or th250 or 375 or 425 either.
    good luck

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

if power braking caused the failure you have burnt fluid. so the gluid in the converter will still be contaminated.