Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with tightening PS belt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, May 11, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I took off my AC compressor, wasn't thinking about how I could adjust the PS pump. Anybody taken off their AC and figured out a way to tighten the belt?

2. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I put a 4x4 block on the frame and then used a crow bat to lift (gently) on the bottom of the pump..Just becare with how much pressure you use under the block( the lines that are there....(smiley) )

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I do the exact same thing as NoSmog

NITRO

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

you can tighten it the same way. but if your talking about how the ps pump us slightly cocked (sp), then you either have to modify bracket(s), or you can buy a plate, that bolts to the front of the head (right behind the pump), and this will fix that problem. i have one on my nova, and since i just took off my ac pump on my blazer, i will be getting one for it. if i remember correctly it was about $30-40 or so??

fyi, if you have a stock motor it shouldn't really hurt it, but if you get into the higher rpm's or have a rather torquey motor, it is worth the investment. i had modified a bracket on my nova that still used the 1st bolt hole on the header, but that did not keep it aligned either.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

They do make a tool for that so you don't damage the can...its made by Lisle...it hooks to the pump bracket near the frame and it has a 8 sided 1/2 hole for your breaker bar or ratchet...

Azblazer