Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with tires !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyburbn, May 26, 2005.

1. Kyburbn

Kyburbn Registered Member

Hey guys !! It's Kyburbn (the ole BigBurb) and I have been in Korea for a year and coming home in 18 days !! The jimmy has sat in the driveway pretty much undriven for a year and only started every week or so !! I can't wait to start tinkering on her again !! FIrst thing is tires, my old 35" x 14.5" x 15" SSR's are in need of replacement. 2 of them would make good spares, so keep that in mind when answering my question. My Jimmy is driven a minimum of 35 miles 5 days a week and wheeled occasionally. I have 6 inches of suspension lift and a 3" body lift. The 35's have lots of room !! Hell I could probably go with a narrow 38" tire and be fine, but not ready to go with that much rubber again !! I am looking to go with a 35, 36, or 37 tire. Here are the options I am interested in:

IROK Radials: 5--36x13.5x15's @ $1313.70
    5--37x12.5x15's @ $1318.20

Radial SSR: 4--35x14.5x15's @ $1262.96 and have 2 good spares/2 so so
    5--37x12.5x15's @ $1353.70

Radial TSL: 5--36x14.5x15's @ $1563.70
    5--36x12.5x15's @ $1213.20

The only other tire I have thought about is the PJ Dirt Grips. I have had really good luck with the Radial TSL's on my Burb and the SSR's have done very well on the Jimmy, but looking for something different, so I am thinking of going with the IROK Radials, but want a tire that can handle the highway without falling apart. The SSR's are fricking expensive for what they are, but a good tire. 1 tons aren't in the near future, so I will go through this next set before changing to 16.5's and 8-luggers !! I am looking at doing tires, a full convertable/soft and hard tops, fuel injection, bumpers/trimming, rock sliders, then hopefully 1 tons and dual cases. One piece at a time !!

Give me your ideas on these tires !! If I could find a good deal on a tire/wheel combo I would jump on it !!

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you'll toast iroks with that much street driving... of those tires, I'd go SSR if I was you. BTW, is there a reason no other tires are listed? MTRs, BFG muds, Procomp XTs, and some of the new Maxxis tires would be good too...

j

3. Kyburbn

Kyburbn Registered Member

Figured IROKS weren't the way to go !

IROKS look like they would shred quick !! The SSR's are good tires, but I guess I wanted something new. Oh well, I will probably go with them again, unless I come across a good deal. I did look at MTR's, BFG's, and Pro-Comps, but the sizes and prices just don't ad up. The closest that I liked was the Wrangler MTR 37x12.5x15 and 5 of them will run me $1496.20 !! I have time, so I will look around. I just want some other opinions.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

where are you getting these prices from... they seem kind of steep. I got four 39.5x15x15 TSLs for $1000. You might try PM'ing Tim84K10 over on pirate4x4.com... he can get some good prices on Interco stuff shipped right to your door.

j