Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help with water

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basing110, Jan 1, 2007.

1. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

so i have no inner fenders in the front of my truck right now and i wanna go mudding real bad .. so my question is what are you guys doing for intake setups to keep from sucking in water and stalling out?i have a k&n open element right now and would like to have a different setup for the mud and water ... so pictures would help alot .. i have been thinking of getting a stock sealed type filter housing and sealing it and running a large diam hose to a snorkle or somthing .. maybe running a hose off of the carb to a homemade hummer style snorkle on the pass side of the hood?? then what do i use for a filter??and where do i mount the filter?

2. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

Are you mudding with the d44??? scary. If you just want to do something cheap for right now and want to run a nice snorkel later. Close off the air intake (like the factory setup) and seal it off. then go to autozone and buy the cheap flexible air hose. (you can buy long lenths for like $10) and run it out of your fender (cut a hole for a snorkel later, or if you can get it through the hole formed by the lack of the inner fender without having that 44 hit) and get some 3m adhesive or a tie wrap to mount it above the cab.

3. SUPERSUB87

like this. (without the hole in the hood) [​IMG]

4. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

yea tire tucks up into the fender to nicely haha .. so ill have to run out of the hood somehow .... ive just been building the truck and havent gotten the chance to wheel it really hard yet ... been out to ocitillo a couple times but it does alot very easily so im scared without a cage yet .. and i found out that last trip it really doesnt like to steer on rocks when im flexing it out .. so ill need to do a hydro assist ram.. but so far the d44 has held up and i jumped the blazer 3 times out in glamis all 4 tires got 5ft off the ground .. but i wasnt on gas when i landed or anything so who knows what woulda happend to the u-joints ...

im leaning towards the hummer style on the pass side and just notch the hood .. basically just make a tube that a cone filter will fit in then make a shroud that covers the top and goes down past the lip about 3" right??

5. SUPERSUB87

I was thinking cheaper. If you still have your stock cover you could put it back on. it covers the filter and has that inlet where the intake tube is on the left side (passenger side) take that off and seal the screw off top with an waterproof adhesive. Then run a cheap air tube from autozone out of the side (so you get the passenger side outlet instead of the hood) then seal off the connection between the hose and the air filter cover and run it out anyway you want. cheap. Should work if you use plenty of sealant. But it would look kinda goofy (if you care about looks) also they have the same oval tubing that you would need so you could connect it right up and have it snug unlike the cylinder shape
    p.s. are you running stock shafts on the d44 and what gears?