Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with welding upsidedown

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 5trucks, Apr 24, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I am not certified but i consider myself a better that sucky welder. My problem is i cant seem to get a decent weld when i weld upside down. The puddle just wants to drip like snot and crap up my gun. I know there is a trick and i'm sure everone is different so please give me some good info on techniques to try so i can find out what works for me. Most of the material i weld is .120 wall and round. Thanks!

2. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to turn your amperage up, and move your gun a little faster. Do you know how to stick weld? If so, "take bigger steps".
    Jimbo

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Turn the wire speed up and use a more agressive gun angle so the nozzle isn't directly under the puddle (in case some does drop out).

Generally if you turn up the wire speed you won't have any trouble though.

Rene

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yup!

also it it does not need to be super strong, pause if your having trouble keeping it from dripping.

Move that puddle and it shouldent drip. what are you welding?

5. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Thanks! Tried it and that does help a lot.

6. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

You must be wire feeding, In that case, when you hold a longer distance away from the joint the wire and current slows down. This allows it to cool a little while still keeping it molten. When you get upsode down, and you have a nice puddle, move forward faster than the puddle can catch up real quick about 1/2 inch ahead of puddle for about 1 second, then go back to the puddle when it fast freezes and put another bead on it, then move away again, just keep putting a puddle and moving away, if you do this you'll have mutiple puddles that have formed a bead when you are done, the way some people describe a row of nickels. You can zig zag too like a zipper. Practice the moving in and out of the puddle flat before going upside down, the usual flat weld is done with ease just drag at the speed of the puddles forward progress, most people don't learn the upside down techniques until they burn themselves. The only thing to remember is stay away from the falling metal.