Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with windshield removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grumpy, Nov 8, 2001.

1. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Can I just pop the windshield out on an 85 K5 or do I have to cut the glue-in gasket?
    Thanks,
    David

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't think that 85s used a glued gasket. I'm pretty sure all you have to do is pull the lacing(the chrome strip) out of the gasket and pop the windshield out. I'm also pretty sure you need a special tool to get the lacing out........or maybe it's to get the lacing back in.

Oh well, I tried.......[​IMG]

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Oh, boy. I am a winshield destroyer. That chrome strip is pretty easy to get out. There is a little cover doo-dad where the ends meet at the bottom in the middle of the gasket. Stick a screw driver in that and pop it out. Then you can just pull the chrome out. Now the fun part, I've never gotten a winshield to just "pop" out. Some can, but not me. What I do is get a box cutter or something super sharp and cut out the gasket. I know its not a smooth operator procedure, but it will help to ensure you don't trash the windshield and it makes do what you should anyways and get a new gasket. I about crapped when I popped my gasket, I had holes in the bottom of my frame, some 2" long. I had some fun with metal strips, fusor body glue, grinder, and puddy that day. Looks really nice now though.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It's true that the gasket's not glued, isn't it?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the actual glass to rubber seal, it seams like there's some sealer on it but can't really tell. I can never get the things to let go, even if I get the stick in there. I can tell you for a fact that the rubber/metal contact does have some sealant. Its this nasty black stuff that doesn't wan't to come off. I had to use the wire wheel to get all of it off. Probably wouldn't have to go that far but I did it to smooth the pitting and rust holes before I repaired them. This stuff makes it a pain to pull the gasket. I guess I'm really supporting a new gasket no matter what because when it rained, I used to have a little puddle on my passenger floorboard, but could never figure it out.

They may have quit using that damn black sealant later on. I know my '82 had these rubber sheets glued to front floor pan for the passenger and driver. All it did was get water under it and cause rot. My '81 has them too and that poor truck is just too far gone to fix. Some of the newer vehicles I've torn apart don't have them, like this '85 burb I did I number on (got lots of parts now , haha). Sometimes they quit doing these little quirks.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>