Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with WinXP

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandawgk5, Jan 6, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I ****ed my PC hard. I have been having problems with my video card G-force fx5500 so I go to disable it and remove it and try to reinstall. the problem I have been having is my computer will just shutdown for no reason and I get the blue screen of death. Well what happened is I was in safemode and I disabled the display adapter which was not the video card I apparently disabled the backup chip that powers the display before you install the video card. I have no video on the motherboard only the card so I am not sure what I did. Specs if needed are AMD 17000+ winxp home and I cannot remember what motherboard I put in as I cannot find my info on it.

What happens now is it runs through its normal startup routine, loads windows I get the little moving bar across the screen, then instead of brining up the login names I get a black screen. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will formating the hard drive and reloading winxp solve this problem as if I am building a computer from scratch? Can I remove the motherboard battery and reset everything? Or am I just ****ed.

Your dumb ass CK5er

Ira

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Try clearing hte BIOS first but i doubt that it will work if you did it in Safe mode.

Then try this
    FORMAT C: /S

haha

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

:D

I tried to repair with the XP CD and it still shutdown and got the blue screen of death. I think I have to wipe the hard drive and reload xp. I am damn glad I got a laptop also.:doah:

Ira

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

have you tried going back into safe mode?

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep and it gets the same result. Sometimes it does not even get to the startup screen.:mad:

Ira

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

TTT I think the shutdown during the repair caused a major malfunction with the hard drive:doah: . It was 98% complete with the repair and it shutdown on a stop error or something like that. I am trying to repair one more time and if that does not work or noone has anymore advice I am going to try and wipe the harddrive and start over:(

Ira

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Well I am typing this from my PC I had to wipe the HD and start all over:doah: . I have a lot of work ahead of me reinstalling all of my programs and drivers.

Wish me luck

Ira

8. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

might wanna download and run memtest86+

i'll almost guerentee you have a bad stick of ram. (even if it seems to be running right now)

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I installed software for DSL back in San Antonio, my taskbar and start menu would disappear in boot up in win XP. Had to start all over again...

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am by no mean a puter wiz but I agree with the Bad RAM post.
    I lost a stick in my notebook with winXP and had similar problems.
    Might want to run that memroy tester program.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It sounds like driver issues to me, hopefully you haven't formatted yet. I would remove the card, boot the machine, then push the front panel button to power it off after like 5 minutes, then reinstall the card, boot back up in safe mode, and just delete all drivers.
    If you did actually disable it, windows is running in a headless mode, it thinks there's no video card attached to the system, therefore is not using it. I'm guessing you don't , but if you have remote desktop or other remote control software like VNC running on it, you could use the laptop to get into it over the network, and configure it that way.
    Next time, you could just highlight the device in device manager and hit delete, then download and install the latest drivers, reboot, and be happy... I don't think resetting the bios will have any effect, it sounds like a software issue with windows. During the repair, windows may still use bad drivers, which could cause the blue screen to not actually be fixed.

When you're booting, you should have an option at some point to hit F8, when you get the safe mode menu. Somewhere in there, you should be able to select "Use last known good configuration", and if the machine's not running headless, it *should* bring you back to a state where you can at least see the screen.

It could be bad memory, too. If you hadn't made any changes to the system when blue screen started happening, that's probably what it is.

12. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

get to a command prompt and delete windows XP and go find a legal copy of windows 2000. and no I'm not kidding.

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stop screens can happen from both hardware and software issues. If you can not get into safe mode it is 99.9% a hardware issue. When you boot to safe mode is use safe or basic drivers that are compatable. Start swaping out components. If you dont have them go to a buddies house and barrow some of his. Start with Ram though!

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am 100% certain the stop errors were a driver issue with my video card. But I caused it to go down hard when I uninstalled the video card and then disabled the video adapter IRQ and I had no way of getting it back. I would have to go into the operating system to enable it and there was no way of doing it as the system would not even get past the startup screen. If I tried to go into safe mode of any kind it would lock up.:( There was very little on this machine anyhow as we mainly use the laptop this machine is mainly my daughters PBSKIDS.ORG machine:D . It all stemed from not installing the video card properly. I changed from a G-Force 3 TI200 to a FX5500 and did not uninstall the old one properly which subsequently jacked the drivers for the new card. Long story short Me + WinXP + Video Card = Formatted HD and reinstall of Windows.

On a good note since the reformat and reinstall I have had no stop errors and the machine runs like a top. Very fast:D .

Thanks for all the help

Ira