Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with Wiring Issues on my 85 k10

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eclipse, Dec 9, 2006.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

My 85 is a wiring nightmare for a few reasons. #1 I got it when I was 19 and no clue what I was doing with stereo wiring and lights etc, and 2nd I had a small engine fire a few years ago so i'm trying to recover.

List of things that don't work I want to fix....
    *Wiper Washers
    *Fan Blower only works on low
    *Ciglighter/12volt
    *Wire up my Tach and Temp gauge lights
    *Fuel gauge

Now that I think of it the rest of my problems are in my steering column, bad turn signal switch

The wiper washers, i'm not sure where the problem is, if the pump is shot or not or if it is something to do with the wiper motor running slow.

The fan blower hasn't worked right since the fire. I lost a good part of the a/c wiring harness on the back of the firewall.

The ciglighter i wanted to know what fuse it was on. I had to pull my horn fuse because of my messed up steering column and I didn't know if that was affecting the ciglighter.

My tach and temp guage I had wired into the light on the heater controls, after like a year of it wired like that I lost all my dash lights and I was blowing fuses, so I cut those wires and I have my factory dash lights back. I wanted to know of a better place to wire them into. I'd like them to turn on with the dash lights or maybe just the key.

My fuel gauge quit working when I pulled my gauge cluster apart to paint the backing and clean it up for better lighting. The gauge just reads about 3 o'clock all the time.

thanks, If anyone has any ideas or help. I'm tired of having all this little stuff not working right. :o

2. chevyuser74

chevyuser74 1/2 ton status

i suggest getting a wiring diagram off of alldata or somewhere else, take ur time and dont do anything sheisty it just makes stuff alot worse later(had an experiance with this). ive rewired two of my trucks from engine fires(one was an 85 k20 just dont do it half ass and ull be fine also test what ur trying to get working if u can dont want to shoot urself in the foot trying to get it to work when it doesnt work in the first place

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Painless Wiring, getting a new harness would be best. Second would be to get a used one. They come up here in the Classifieds now & then;) Be careful at a junkyard, corrosion and other vultures are the problem there.