Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help with year models

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyburb, Mar 3, 2007.

1. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I am looking around some junk yards and trying to find a body swap donor. Here is what I want but not sure if the year models work out. I really like the square front clip like the 70s and early 80s with the two tone middle strip but I want the interior to have the fold down FLAT second row (not the fold down with 4 inches sticking up) and the fold down pop out rear seat instead of the bolt in. Is there any year models with both of these. Hopefully more than one! Shoulder straps would also be nice. Not to intrested in power windows and doors.

Current ride is 76 3/4 ton sub.

Any advise?
    Thanks

2. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

bump...

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, the front clip is very different for 73-80, and 81-91. There's a tech article about all the pieces you have to swap:

http://coloradok5.com/grilleswap.shtml

Works the same both ways -- radiator support, cowl, plus the obvious pieces.

I *believe* that the flip down seat started in the mid-80's; I know it was NOT out in '77 and WAS by '85. You'd therefore have to use an 81+ body to get the flip-down seat, and then do an early front clip on it, or keep your existing one.

Since you have the '76 (i.e. early) style now,I'd say get an '81+ body, and then keep your existing front clip, replacing whatever is rusted or damaged.

-- A

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ok here is how it goes..........
    73-75 -Full convertible with flat rear floorboard.
    76-77 -Half cab with flat rear floorboard.
    78-80 -Half cab with rear floorboard notched for rear passengers, frame also different.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I interpreted the OP as wanting to do a *Burb* body swap, not a Blazer. In rereading, however, I'm unsure. :dunno:

-- A