Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help won't start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by istallion88k5, Oct 14, 2001.

1. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Help won\'t start

Ok, Blazer has sat for a month now won't start. Thinking it was the battery tried charging it no go, replaced the battery, still no start. What is wierd is like my headlights work, interior light works but nothing else, no accessories work if you turn the key to on. Only thing I can see visibly is the connector on the started has rusted (geez in one month). But that doesn't make sense when somethings work but nothing else. I have 2 cables off the battery one to the alt, one to the starter. Any guesses?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

2. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Re: Help won\'t start

I had a simular situation the other day. It turned out that I cleanrd the ground terminal on the block from the battery. When mine did it everything worked but it would not start it seemed as if the battery was dead, I cleaned the ground at the Alt. bracket and Bingo! It worked, hope it helps.

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!
    I see a 6 inch lift in the near future!

3. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

I did clean the battery terminals they were rusty too, but I did not clean the ground terminal on the other end. I will try that but the fact that some things work but nothing else boggles me.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The headlites and interior lite work directly off the battery. The prob you are describing is all the accesories. Sounds like power is getting lost in the acc./ start/ run positions for some reason. MAYBE a bad switch?

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

5. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

"Only thing I can see visibly is the connector on the started has rusted"

Clean up all connections, I bet that rusty starter connection does something for you!!!

1986 K5
    All stock except a fully built crate 350 and Ranchos!

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Joshua, this is a shot in the dark, but have you tried checking your neutral safety switch?

<font color=red>"SETTING OFF ALARMS IN A CITY NEAR YOU!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>