Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help, won't Start.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jburd, Mar 14, 2003.

1. jburd

jburd Registered Member

Help, won\'t Start.

I went to start the blazer today, and it turns over but won't start. I am getting a spark and the plugs, wires, cap and filter are about two weeks old. I sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and it started and died. That means it is a fuel problem, right. Does that mean it is the pump or could it be something else. I don't know if this is related, but I noticed lately that sometimes when I took off from a stop the blazer would stutter. If I let off the gas and then pushed it again, it would act fine. This started recently and only happened every now and then. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Help, won\'t Start.

fuel pump
    Bang on the gas tank with your hand and try it again. sometimes that will get it to fire off. Replace the fuel filter also.

3. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

my bet is fuel pump and/or clogged fuel filter (the easier of the two to swap) but the pump isn't hard either....
    good luck.
    HAYDUKE

4. jburd

jburd Registered Member

I replaced the fuel pump and it still won't start. I can hear it working when I turn the key. So I don't think it is that. The fuel filter is about two weeks old. I unscrewed it from the engine side and fuel started coming out, so I don't think it is the filter. Someone told me to try the coil, so I replaced that too with no luck. I am wondering, though, I checked for spark by unscrewing a spark plug and reattaching the wire and resting it on the engine and then trying to start the truck. I got a small spark like a bic lighter that won't light. Should I get a bigger spark than that and what would cause that ? Thanks for any help.

5. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Did you look to see if you have any fuel coming from the injectors while you crank it over? It still sounds like a fuel problem to me.

6. jburd

jburd Registered Member

No I haven't checked the fuel injectors. Should I see fuel spray in there when the ingnition is turned over ? If there isn't fuel present is it the injectors ? I don't have too much experience in this area, in case you can't tell.