Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help working on truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ronnny, Aug 7, 2005.

1. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

how many of you have to work on your truck by yourself with little to no help from anyone? The wife does not really care for old trucks unless the are in the nice truck range or for that fact anything to work on yourself. The kids are to lazy to do anything. I guess that is why his bronco is dead in the yard with the t-case and tranny pulled. But the wife says i don't need to borrow the carb from it to put on my 350. Ok i guess this is just a rant but how many of you have to do most of your work all by yourself? :crazy:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do all my work by myself. Nobody in the family is interested in vehicles and the only friend I have that is talks big and then redneck/bootfabs EVERYTHING...so I don't let him come near either of my vehicles.

This especially kicks me in the ass when I need tools or something because there are no friends to borrow any from and dad isn't gonna spring for one cuz he couldn't care less. Eh well, my club is slightly helpful, hopefully I'll meet some different people when I go away to school.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Shoot, I don't even have a concrete slab to work on, all dirt out back of the house. I do have a friend who has his own mech shop. He gave me a key to the shop so I have access to all the pro stuff, but its still a drag to do it by yourself.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

All by my lonesome. Picking up an NP-203 onto your bench for a rebuild is fun. :D

That's why I try to help the guys locally when I can, having help makes it a good experience - usually.

5. 78jimmygirl

78jimmygirl Registered Member

I'm usually working on my truck by myself because every time I ask my brother for help he just says you can do it by yourself. :rolleyes: But he will help me every once in a while to loosen a bolt or boost his ego. I would ask my dad for help but most of the time he does not know what he's talking about :haha:

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Me,myself,and I..

I do all my repairs alone 99% of the time..no friends will help,they all live far away or are too busy with their kids or wives to help me...for the most part,I dont need any help--I make use of engine hoists,winches,jacks,and other implements of destruction to lift,pull,or drag heavy items into place...the worst thing I try to do alone is remove a truck cap or K5 roof alone...I have done it several times alone,but not without back strain and paint damage to the truck.. :mad: --even with a hoist its an awkward job... :doah:

The only time I wish I had a helper is when I'm lifting an engine in or out,and getting it to line up with the tranny and motor mounts--but once I'm past that stage,the "helper" is more of a burden than a help--I work better alone usually,if someone is there with me I often get distracted,and end up doing more talking than working....some guys I can work with without speaking a word--others I spend more time explaining what to do to them more than actually doing it! :doah: ..thats when I tell them "I'm all set now,you can go!"--and button things up alone!....Its a lot slower working alone,but you tend to do a more thourogh job than if you have a whole "crew",and beer is being consumed while you "work"..... :crazy:

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

all by my self too, really sucks cause ive went through 2motors and 1 tranny in the last year. really hard since in millitary, everytime i find someone to help either i or they transfer or move. some day ill make a friend :(

8. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

All by myself too. I tried to get my son involved, but I guess he's too young at 10. He helps out when I need him to and ask him to hold a light or something, but that's about it.

It sux asking someone to grab you a 3/8's extension and a 5/8's 6 point socket knowing that he'll never in a million years know what your asking for.... :D

9. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

there is a reason im divorced... and a reason im dating a woman who drives a 86 sami w/ yota running gear and drive train on 35's... that SHE built.... ;)
    Grant

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

holy shyt, so you guys are the same way too!!?

hell yeah! thats cool as hell,

i dont feel alone now! :thumb:

i dont let ANYONE touch any of my stuff, and i mean ANYTHING or EVER

i do 100% of all my work and always have since day one

other ppl just screw things up, ive done it all everything from engines trans axle swaps to body swaps to total strip and disassemble and cut up and junking,

and i dont evne have a concrete slab or black top or anything either, just alot of gravel and the sky as a roof

beeen doing it since 1994 billions and billions of vehicles, all kinds, LOTS of work, is been pretty interesting but im pretty jaded in life these days, bored, burnt out, want to do something new, not the same old car and truck thing, but i have no idea what,

i have thought about going ot diesel school
    but i dunno about that either, im pretty darn tired of wrenching in general, i feel all retired and such, every day that goes by i seem to care a little more less about vehicles, i used to force myself ot learn and study RPO and body model and vin codes info and other manufracturer's tech data and all kinds of crazy factory info which is still all in my head, but i really dont care all that much about it anymore, have no use fr it in the real world, no one cares about it, at leats not in IL where i am at, so i dunno,.,..
    i feel i wasted all my life since 1994, and have nothing to show for it, learned a whole TON of useless info that i wish i could now delete and replace with info that could have made me successful in this life, in which i ended up being as far away from as i could ever be,,

i need to do something i know,,

but what i have no idea......

hummmmm

good luck and happy wrenching

;)

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I used to work alone but know I have a helper
    [​IMG]
    It is great when a mans daughter says "Daddy when are we gonna work on the truck again?" and she is only 6 :D . Everytime she asks my wife just shakes her head :haha:

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

awwww! :D that would be cool as hell :D

there ya go :D :thumb:

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty blessed to have a few close friends who are mechanically skilled, and my dad is a great help if I need an extra pair of hands. Normally, projects are combined with cooking out and consuming adult beverages, so it works out.

Tom

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No help here. Well, very little. Most of my friends live too far away and have families. Once in a while, we all get together to work (i.e. drink beer in the driveway) on a large project which is fun, but normally its just me.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ditto.........except the wife helps with stuff sometimes. She's a doll! And I've lay-ed on the gravel and mud to long. Soon to have concrete and shelter!

16. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I work on my truck myself. I don't even have air tools at home.

17. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

well, just incase im the only one doing it- im keeping this tread handy. so far i see 1 1/2 possibilities for a "fix the truck party n' BBQ" :D

btw sandawgk5 hows the axles comming? <hint,hint> :)

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I will be driving out studs putting backing plates on and re-installing new studs and putting the hubs and drums on Today after work. Then I just gotta get the install kit and figure out a way to get the pinion nut off without an air gun :o .