Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! York compresor oil blow-by

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72THING, Mar 14, 2003.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I just got my OBA set up and it works awesome, except for one thing- it blows by a LOT of oil. I have a small inline oil separator and it gets halfway full of oil when going from 0-125 psi. I have already plugged the small port near the crankshaft as recommended by somebody on this site, but it still blows by a lot of oil. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Will

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like the rings on the piston are shot. Might be time for a rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Stupid question that has to be asked - Have you checked to make sure that it's not overfilled? </font>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Someone on Pirate posted this a while ago...I don't have a link but I do have the pics that go with it...
    Is this the port you plugged?
    It still leaks bad?
    You did mount it upright right?

York Compressor
    Oil Pukin'
    Quick Fix
    I saw this fix somewhere on the net several years ago, but I can no longer find it, so I took some pictures and wrote up a tech note. My apologies to who ever came up with this idea, as credit where credit is due. I believe that this is the same modification that Sabre Force performs for $$$, but I'm not sure. It might take 30 minutes to do the first time and 15 minutes the next time. It cuts down the amount of oil blown out by 80-90%.

Yorks are great compressors, but they were designed as air conditioning compressors and they normally pump a lot of oil out of their discharge port no matter what orientation they are mounted in. It only takes a few minutes to modify the compressor so that is doesn't pump oil out. The York is designed to pump oil to the seal via a loop using pressure in the crankcase to deliver oil to the seal and then to the suction inlet port. You don't really need or want this oiling system when you are using the York as an air compressor. It is the oil entering the suction port that is responsible for a lot of the oil that blows out of the compressor.

In order to plug this oil port, you need to remove the front seal from the compressor. Remove the pulley and the magnetic clutch coil. Then remove the 6 - 1/4 inch hex head screws from the seal retainer, remove the retainer and seal. Check the compressor manual if you are not familiar with these operations. The manual can be downloaded from:
    York compressor service manuals
    The oil hole is 5/32 inch in diameter. The pump shown in the picture is a Right side suction model. If you have a Left side suction model, the hole will be on the left. Cover the bearing with several layers of towels. Plug the hole with a wad of paper towel shoved about 1 inch into the hole to keep metal chips out of the suction port. Drill and tap with a 10-32 thread tap. You are supposed to use a #21 drill with the 10-32 tap, but the 5/32 hole is so close that you don't really need to drill it out. Carefully blow out the metal chips and cover the outlet port and blow compressed air into the inlet port to blow the paper towel plug out of the oiling hole along with any chips. Brush out any remaining chips and then remove the towels. Put a drop of blue or red locktite on a 10-32 x 3/8 plug or set screw and tighten it into the threaded hole. Reassemble the seal, seal retainer, clutch and pulley and you are done. Cost: Tap $2.25, plug $0.15

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I think that that is the mod that he is saying he already did. </font>

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

One other thing I noticed on one of those electric Yorks is that they put a breather on the crankcase? They added a small brass exhaust filter to one of the fill plugs. Have you tried running it without the hole pluged?

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Yes, this is the exact mod I did, and I know it is not overfilled with oil. The compressor is sitting vertical. It has 10 oz. of oil in it right now. I've been keeping a close eye on the oil level so I don't get under 6 oz. I removed one of the fill plugs on the side and made me a custom breather, but the oil eventually starts to blow out of there, too. I'm at a loss as what to do. If the rings were that bad worn out, then it seems like it wouldn't pump very good. Just so you know, I haven't run the engine over 2000 RPM with the compressor engaged. However, at this speed, it blows by really fast.

Thanks,

Will