Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

ok, here is the situation. i am looking at a 88 blazer 4x4. it has no ac/pw/pl no nothing. the guy was asking 3300 for the blazer. i told him two weeks ago that i would give him 2400 for it. he called me back tonight said i could have it. the blazer is in pretty good shape except it needs tires. it has slight rust on the tailgate. i am no expert on blazers. is this a good deal or not?!?

always looking for something

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds pretty good if its in that kind of shape and mechanically sound. I have over 6k tied up in my 77 and it has no power accessories either.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
  4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Might want to pull the plugs to check the motor out. 2400 is ok if running. If not...or in serious need of motor-vation...

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I paid $5200 for my 89 without ANYTHING! It's a friggin scotsdale. That price sounds pretty good. Go down and get a loan for $3000. use the extra money to out tires on it and call it good.

Sounds Like a winner to me.

Kyle
    89K5

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

i hate to say this, but.......
    i paid over nine grand for my '89, fully loaded, 108K on the clock; i'm the third owner, excellent shape.
    i've gotten numerous compliments on it, i guess it was worth it.....
    that's the going rate for these trucks out here in cali. bronco's are way cheaper, but chevy don't build bronco's, do they?
    by the way, what the hell is rust?

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Hey Delta9, I keep telling you man, rust is that brownish bumpy paint that those northerners seem to enjoy painting there trucks with...

Just for the record I bought my 88 Silverado, fully loaded, for just over $5k with 106k on the clock, in blessed Arizona. The average price was anywhere from $3000 to $8000 then I was looking depending on gas vs. deisel, loaded vs. stripped, built up or stock. Check http://www.cars.com and you should get a good idea on what they are going for in your area. http://www.kbb.com is also a pretty good understanding of what it's worth, if it's pretty much stock.

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

2400.00 isnt bad. How many miles on it? Also did you get it checked out by a mechanic to make sure its mechanically sound? There are some seriously expensive reaplacement parts on that year of a blazer. Computer, Transfer case,trans and so on oh yeah engine.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

9. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

I just bought my '88 K-5 Custom Special about three months ago and I paid 3200$ for it from a dealership. I could have gotten him lower but I think he sensed my willingness to do anything to get it so he wouldn't budge. It has AC but manual rear window, windows, locks, etc. It has a four speed manual with a 350 and a NP208 case. Pretty much everything was stock and had good 33x12.50 tires on chrome spokes. There was a little body damage to a fender in the front caused by a tree but it is totally rust free. In my opinion I think the price that you are paying is probably worth it if is in running condition. Of course if you are buying a blazer then you are more than willing to put some work into it so how well it runs shouldn't make a huge difference. As long as it gets you from point a to point b until you get something better under the hood. Hope this helps as a general guideline. You can pay 15.00$ on line and do a title search to make sure that it was never totaled and that is has passed emissions. Also you can check the blue book on it on line. The internet has many things to offer in the way of researching a particular vehicle. Get the VIN number of the Blazer and check it out. I knew how long the dealer had it and where he bought it from before I even talked to him. He came down as soon as I told him that he needed to get rid of it because he had it for a few months. He looked a little surprised at some of the information that i had. Anyway, good luck and it's always good to see more people getting into the best fourXfour out there. Like a Rock!!

10. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

i did not take it to a mech. i am pretty confident in the motor, because i rebuilt a couple of 350's. the fluids and sounds were good, and plugs looked good. i am sure i probably overlooked something, but it is an 88; it is not perfect. the tranny has been rebuilt bout 6 months ago. i went over evey inch of the thing. the only leak was coming out of the yoke on the drive shaft which is only a small seal. i have only had short wheel based 4x4's(jeeps and toyota p/u) in the past so i will probably need a few pointers for off roading this wheelbase. i will be using this thing for wheeling and my daily driver.
    thanks for all of the good information yall are providing

always looking for something

11. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

if you're worried about rust, check in the rear wheelwell towards the front of the truck. right where the ledge is is a common place for Northern trucks to rust... the reason I say check this is because i bought my '89 for $4000 but it was rusted there... I didn't know it until the mount for the seat belt pulled right out, i.e.- the only thing holding me in the seat were the screws holding the carpet panel. well, GM does sell those panals for $100 a piece so for now I'm going w/out belts until I get the roll bar and 5 pnt. harnesses. It's a good idea to check these panals if you're worried about safety! It sounds like a good deal though!!!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

12. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a great deal to me! I just paid $2500 for my '79 Cheyenne. It does have power everything, though.
    There's another $1300 going out tomorrow to pay for the tranny and t-case rebuild.
    Here we go...

Blazin' in Flagstaff