Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by aj johnson, Nov 4, 2004.

1. aj johnson

aj johnson 1/2 ton status

Hey all, I have a M1008, 84 that has been convered to 12 volts, and all of a sudden I have no lights whatsoever. no turn, no tail, no headlights, no dash illum. nada. zip. The only thing I have are idiot lights in the cluster, and the wipers and blower works. I have power at a few of the connections in the connector that is on the firewall that plugs into the fusebox under the dash, but I have no power (I think) to any of the circuits in the fusebox. When I pull the connector out and jumper the 12v sources to the other stuff, they work, but when I plug it back into the fuse box, no workee.. Also, my manual says the glow plug controller is supposed to be by the hydroboost, and I don't see anything there.... ANY help here would be appreciated!!!!! This is driving me nuts! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. aj johnson

also, anyone know where I can find the female plug end to the slave plug on the front passenger side of the grille? that would be perfect to hook up a readywelder to... or jumper cables... or a winch....etc..

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Not to sound silly, but isnt there an option for the blackout operation? This certainly sounds like it is at least.

Glow plug controller varies from year to year. Apparently mine from 92 looks completely different than some of the eariler ones. Most however, have stated that it is close to the firewall, by the engine.

I would definately put a penny that is is NOT by the hydroboost.

hope this helps.

4. aj johnson

yep, this has blackout, but no matter where i toggle the switches, I still get nothing...

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Id check the contacts on the switch, and also all wires leading to that switch. I'd even try getting a meter and checking the switch to the ground. I'd focus on there first.

6. aj johnson

so, if I'm understanding this right, the blackout switch panel is in the control circuit for ALL the lights?
    if something is boogered there, nothing works?

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I believe so, i've never played with one personally, but all your symptoms point to that area. Electrical problems are a pain, but can be figured out with a meter for the most part.

8. aj johnson

checked those switches too... no power to those either.. It seems as though the power just stops at the fuse box, but I have heater motor and wiper motor? I don't have turn signals or cluster lights or headlights or park lights. The only lights I have are the idiot lights in the cluster.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont know how well you know circuits, so how are you testing the fact that it has no power? You really want to do a continuity test, rather than a voltage test. Thats the only way you'll find a break in the circuit. A test like is not as functional.

10. aj johnson

I'm using a multimeter and checking for voltage at the fuses in the fuse box, and at the blackout light switches.
    I'm pretty good at electronics, just got done with school for my diesel degree.. this is probably something that I'm just missing for whatever reason, and will feel like a total dumbass when I figure it out... ever have one of those?

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm using a multimeter and checking for voltage at the fuses in the fuse box, and at the blackout light switches.
    I'm pretty good at electronics, just got done with school for my diesel degree.. this is probably something that I'm just missing for whatever reason, and will feel like a total dumbass when I figure it out... ever have one of those?

[/ QUOTE ]

UUUUUH what?
    Yeah I know I have a lot of those and i have gotten used to kicking my self in the butt everytime I do that .
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a problem with my lighting system and other stuff. Found out that there are two wires coming off the starter that gives other stuff power. If you have the same setup that I do there should be three wires on the hot post on the starter. Check these wires out.

13. aj johnson

nope, only one wire on mine.