Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Just got a 454 out of an 82 c-30 crew cab. Had it running before we pulled it and it needs freshened up. I've been researching parts and different combos. This is the first BBC I've attempted to tear into. All my rebuild experience is with small blocks. I'm confused :confused: about cylinder heads, can some one please explain; open chamber, closed chamber, oval port, rectangular port and peanut port. It seems from what I've been reading for low end torque, the peanuts are the way to go. Thanks for any help

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am by no means a BBC expext. That said, all those terms are not describing the same thing. Open chamber and closed chamber refer to the design of the combusion chamber. Oval port and rectangular port refers to the shape of the exaust port where it meets the manifold/header.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

open chamber =Low compression

Closed chamber= High compression performance head

Peanut port= Usually used on trucks Describes small oval almost round intake ports. Good low end up to 4500 rpm. Open chamber

Oval port= larger oval intake ports Good for performance came in both open and closed chamber.

retangular intake port= High performance head. used in high performance engines like 454 501 HO Can be either open or closed chamber.

On BBC you cant swap intake manifolds around. Intakes are made for their specific head design If you have a peanut port manifold it can only be used on a peanut port. same for Oval and rect manifolds.

4. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, things are starting to make sense.