Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jul 30, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so my buddy and i need to repair this church van for a pastor we know, but we're not entirely sure what's wrong with it. here's the deal. 1st problem: it's a dodge. ok. so we thought the alternator was bad, pulled it, had it checked, it was fine. then we replaced the battery because it wouldn't hold a charge. then the van decided one day to sputter to a stop, die, and not restart. now the battery is dead. the check engine light codes are as follows:

37 Shift indicator light failure, 5-speed
    OR
    part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver circuit (87-89)
    OR
    solenoid coil circuit (85-89 Turbo I-IV)
    OR
    Trans temperature sensor voltage low (1995 and on; see NOTE 2)

41* Alternator field control circuit open or shorted

the van is a 1990 with an auto tranny. so the 37 code doesn't make much sense to me. code 41 sounds like a hit, but i don't know what that is or how to check/repair it. any ideas?

in terms of the motor dying - is there any chance that this could be related to the catalytic converter backing up? i guess a couple weeks ago my buddy saw that it turned the dreaded red hot. is it fried for good now? is that something that the average home mechanic can replace? i appreciate any help you can offer!!!

colby stephens.
    www.web.pdx.edu/colbys - check out the story of the build of my k5!