Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cove-Rider, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Cove-Rider

Cove-Rider Registered Member

My 1985 CK10 Blazer wont pass the washington state emmsions test. it is carborated and has 3 inch flowmaster on it with the stock 305 motor. does anybody here have any tips on how to get it to pass?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Shoot it and put it out of its misery!!! :haha:
    What isnt it passing? Co? Co2? Hydra carbons? Does it have a cat? When was the last time you tuned it or rebuilt or adjusted the carb? I ended up having to replace my carb the first time I smogged my 86 K5.

Oh yeah... Welcome to the forum!!

3. Jimmydriver

Jimmydriver Registered Member

Make sure it’s tuned up, good plugs, wires, ignition system up to snuff.

Pollutants build up in oil so a fresh oil change and new filter.

Make sure the engine is hot, at least 20 minutes on the freeway getting there.

Retarding timing will bring down HC but cause a slight rise in CO. Usually running at about 5 degree advanced and run the idle speed right below the high test limit (1250 RPM where I live) should get it to pass assuming no major things like carb. rebuild are required. Remember to adjust the carb. before running idle speed up, vacuum tune works well.

The trick most everyone uses is alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol used for water in gas works good, sold as “dry gas”. Let the tank get down just below a 1/4 tank then add a pint of alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol from the grocery store works too).

If it doesn’t have cats you can always get 2 old ones from the bone yard and slap them on before you take your rig in. What you do with them after the test is up to you.

4. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

put on a new cat converter not used new ones will burn up all the bad stuff

5. Cove-Rider

Cove-Rider Registered Member

haha not gonna shoot it i just bought it! it isnt passing because it has like 6 times the aloud amount of hydro carbons is what a shop told me who ran a test for me. they played with the carb a bit and said it was running a bit lean but coul be fixed. its got a quadra jet carb in it right now it use to have a holley. right now though the engine use to have an air pump on it but doesnt anymore so that could be part of it but i dont know where to get one cheap? it has a small after market cat because of the flowmaster but i dont know how much the would affect things. well there is some more info if it is helpful in dignoseing how to fix my beast.:o