Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer40, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Blazer40

Blazer40 Registered Member

If you replace ball joints do you have to get them pressed in? Can you grease 'em in and hammer them in? Can you hammer the old ball joints out?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Oh, good Lord. :eek1:

You might be able to hammer the old ones out (I wouldn't) but DEFINITELY do not hammer the new ones in. Go to AutoZone (or whatever your local parts store is) and rent a ball joint press.

You start hammering on new ball joints and they'll crap out on you for sure.

3. Blazer40

Rookie here - guess that was evident...
    Thanks very much!

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Just glad you asked before you actually went and did it. :waytogo:

5. Blazer40

Do I need to grease the ball joint before I put them in? If so what kind do I need?

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Grease the ball joints after you put them in. Otherwise the rubber boot won't be held in place and the grease will get everywhere.

Any good quality chassis grease will get the job done. If you plan to do a lot of water crossings, try using marine grease.

If you're talking about greasing the outside to aid in installation, then just use a little smear of engine oil around the press-fit portion.