Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlaKK54Speed, Dec 14, 2006.

1. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

hi guys, i just would like to introduce myself first, my name is nate and i just joined the forum.......

i bought an 85 blazer a few days ago, its black, maroon interior, 4 speed manual tranny, 350 under the hood. minimal rust here and there, under the doors and back wheel wells and under the tailgate. paid 900 cash.

first of all, do you guys think it was worth it?

second of all, the clutch is really weak, only about the last two inches of play seem to grab, and it grabs really softly. i need to know the best place to buy a clutch and also what size is it? 11"? im lost.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks guys

2. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

welcome dude. i just became a member again a week or so ago. at least I'm not the new dude anymore.:D as far as your clutch goes, sorry, I don't know jack about trans stuff.

3. BlaKK54Speed

thanks man, i really want to find out what size clutch it is so i can buy myself one for xmas. i really would like to get her running good and driving right asap. in no hurry really. just anxious

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey,

Name's Manny. Welcome! I've shared this thought before. No problem in doing it again. Every rig is a beauty in the eye of the beholder. If in your heart paying $900.00 for her makes you happy, then it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. Let your truck become a part of you, one bolt at a time and soon enough you'll see yourselve in your truck. It's a real cool feeling!

As far as the clutch goes, determining what you need is dependant upon several factors. What are you using your truck for? Daily Driver (DD)? MUD BOGGER? TRAILS? ROCKS? This will help decide your choice. For me, I'm building a MUD TRUCK. I have gone with Centerforce, a leader in the clutch industry. I'm using their dual friction set-up. It gives the strongest clamping rate which is needed to turn the big meats in the goo! A daily driver may not need that much, so you could go with something less. It all depends. I bought my clutch here: www.summitracing.com

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch w/throw-out bearing and alignment tool lins:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1∂=CTF%2DDF024909&N=700+400420+4294908216+4294908215+4294925023+4294840140+115&autoview=sku
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CTF-N1716
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CTF-53010

To start, you have an 85 K5, 350. Your VIN will help identify your rig. Climb under the rig and look for the plates on the tranny and transfer case. With a 4 speed, I bet you have an SM465 w/low. Your transfer case could be a NP205, NP208 or maybe a NP241. I may be wrong on the 241. I'm new to Chevy's too! Check your axles. Typically, you can count the bolts on the differential cover and see if you have a 10, 12 or 14 Bolt. But that too can be deceiving because your front may be a Dana 44. I don't know if K5's came with 1 ton packages and D60's. Others can fill that blank in.

Take some pictures and post them up for us to see. It's always nice to see new rigs.

Again, welcome to CK5.com. It's a great place! :waytogo:

Merry Christmas!

Manny

5. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey, welcome to the herd. :D

According to our very own Specs page, you should have a SM465 and NP208. Blazers didnt come in 1 ton, unless it was swapped in by a previous owner. So you should have 10bolts front and rear.

I second checking out Summit.

Z

6. BlaKK54Speed

more info

hey guys the vin is 1g8ek18h6ff151876

i know it says it has a 305 but i know its a 350. check out the pics and see how stock it looks!!! puzzled me too....

if anyone can offer any info based on these pics please let me know. thanks guys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

once again thanks for any and all the help guys!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2006
  7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, welcome to CK5. Nice to have you aboard, my friend.

$900 seems like a damn fine price for that rig, brother. Good score!!!!

A couple of observations:

- Your headliner is not factory

- You're missing an AC compressor belt. I'd be willing to bet the previous owner had some issues with his compressor clutch.

- You have a leak where the top rad hose attaches to the rad

- The rear pinion seal needs to be done.

- The TC is definitely an NP208, and your rear axle is a Corp 10 bolt.

- It looks like the one rear shock I can see is blown and has lost all of its oil.

- The power steering pump area looks a little shiny, unless it's my imagination.

Other than that, the truck seems pretty solid and is in pretty good shape. It needs a little TLC and some elbow grease in and out, including the engine bay, to bring it back to life, and I would recommend you do an entire service and swap out all the fluids unless you know for a fact that some of them have been done recently.

Any other questions? Feel free to ask. You've found the best K-series site in the world. Put it to good use. :thumb:

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I want to know exactly how you 'know' it's a 350? I wasn't sure of the smallblock I had until I got the oil pan off, found 4 bolt mains and a 4" bore. Your motor looks very much like it's been there from day one...and if the VIN says 305 that is very likely what it is. I have found many sellers unscrupulous enough to claim 350 when it really is a 305. From the outside there is no physical difference.

Rene

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i am with rene, looks a little too perfectly stock to be a swaped in 350

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had to go check and see if my truck was still outside!:wink1:

Looks good as was said a little time and blood and she'll be a part of you. Welcome to the knuckle busters club :haha:

Nice to see ya hear Brother :D

11. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

305 it is, however, with that awesome tranny you will never tell a difference. I was the proud owner of a sm465 myslef. Here are some facts...
    1) If you are mud bogging, sell the truck to me and go get an automatic! :)
    2) If rocks are your thing, NEVER SELL IT!!!!!
    3) Best crawling tranny ever (sm420 too)!!!
    4) You will break axels if you stuff big meats on those 10 bolts... You need 14 bolt ff, and at the least an eight lug conversion on the front 10 bolt...
    5) Your front axles will break, buy spares!!! dana 60 will solve that though.
    6) Get rid of all the crap in the engine compartment (a.c. emmissions, all the blahs).... makes for much easier maintenance.
    7) Get yourself a buddy who builds (and wheels) as well and have a blast!

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I would like to expand that a little. It should be 7.)Get yourself a buddy or Old lady/girl friend that wheels or likes to wheel as well and have a blast!

If your ole lady likes to wheel you will have less headaches :doah:

And now all the Brother is in need of is mud! :D

13. BlaKK54Speed

well i would have to agree that it looks terribly stock, for sure. i was told it was a 350, maybe i was fooled, or the prior owner was fooled, either way is ok with me, this is the first chevy i have ever owned. i do need to take all that extra crap out of the eng compartment- not needed for me. i do plan to rebuild the headliner.

how big of tires can i put on this baby without cutting the fenders? how big can i go without snapping axles?

im pretty much just gonna fix the rust, make it a nice truck and drive it in the snow/haul stuff with it.

bigger tires would mainly be for looks and a little more clearance, there aint much mud or rocks in nebraska for me to have fun with.

if its a 305 should i be worried? does it really make much difference? what would i gain by having a 350 versus a 305? other than a little more hp

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

As said above, It's still a great powertrain package with the SM465; 292, 305 or 350. You'll be able to pull down some great gas mileage with the SM465 and the smaller engines.
    You don't have smog laws in NE?

15. BlaKK54Speed

nope, they dont check a thing when you register.

also, i want to put headers on, new carb, new intake manifold, you guys think the original internals will be ok? it runs pretty good now but i want to swap some stuff out any advice is great

thanks guys

16. BlaKK54Speed

i did the research and i need the 11" clutch 1 1/8 diameter input shaft, 10 spline. this fits the 350 and 305. some 350's came with the 12" though

so if you have the 305 with the sm465 you need the 11" clutch.

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No reason you couldn't run a 12" clutch behind a 305...although it probably wouldn't be necessary.

For 'looks' I'd probably keep the tire size to 32x11.5 on the stock rims with no lift.

305 should be a bit nicer on fuel than the 350, and unless you're working it hard should do you just fine.

Rene

18. BlaKK54Speed

sounds good i think i wont mind the 305 at all. how big are the stock tires on these? 32 really doesnt sound that big at all