Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80K5, Sep 8, 2001.

1. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

My truck is running like crap. Its blowing black smoke and idles very ruf and when i try to take off it kind of sputters before it gets going. I think its running really rich but what do you guys think? and could you guys give me some ideas and direction on were to start to solve this problem.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It might be your floats getting stuck open. Or do you even have a carburator. We're going to need more info.I had a Q-jet carb and that happened to me I just went and bought a new edelbrock 600cfm...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah its a carb. Its a 4 barel out of a 80 blazer. I don't know the exact carb it is tho because i haven't looked it up yet

Steve

4. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Same thing is happening with mine but it backfires worse than an uncle buck car and shoots 2 foot flames. I have been told it is the floats also. I am getting it rebuilt this week.

1985 GMC JIMMY

5. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah i forgot to mentiion it backfires quite a damn bit to.
    Yeah it sounds like they might be sticking then.
    Anyone with any other ideas that it could be?

Steve

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Couldnt it also be a vacuum leak? I have had backfiring from a vacuum leak before.

Also, a bad vacuum advance on the distributor might cause this. I had one that was bad and didnt work. I left the hose off and it back fired bad. Capped it off and it ran fine after that. Just no advance with the distributor though.

My ideas here are 'wild guesses'. I'm just trying. [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

&lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy&gt;http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by thatK30guy on 09/08/01 06:50 PM.</FONT></P>

7. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

I would also check your timing. Stuck float would cause it to run ruogh but backfiring through carb is from an intake valve still being open during ignition. Hope this helps.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Backfiring with black smoke and running like crap is a way overfueled motor...I'd put money on dirty needle and seat or stuck floats.
    Get yerself a Q-jet rebuild kit and rebuild that thing. The kits are inexpensive and the rebuild itself is pretty straightforward. Just take your time and pay close attention to what parts went where. Also only disassemble the bare minimum...all the linkage does not have to come apart.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>