Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jbranco254, Nov 28, 2001.

1. jbranco254

jbranco254 Registered Member

I have a 94 blazer 6.5 turbo. Now , Im not much of a dieles mech , but i do work on navy fighters. in the last month i have had a problem where it just quits on me. some days it woulnt , some it will take me 30 minutes to get out of the driveway. its not a cold thing , because it happend while on the hiway , on the trail , when i get home , anytime...i have no idea what it couls be....HELP!!!

ps-it starts right back up
    pss-where is the erg valve? top or on the right valve cover??
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jbranco254 on 11/28/01 09:27 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Have you checked/replaced the fuel filter?

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Do you know if it has an electric lift pump to move the fuel to the injector pump.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

4. jbranco254

Fuel filter is brand new...and i dont know if i have the electric fuel tring....
    Also , where is this majical erg valve i keep hearing about? there is a valve on the right valve cover , and one on top of the injector thing...like i said , im a jet mechanic , not diesel,
    thanks guys...

5. BlueBlazer

The EGR valve is on the top of the intake manifold. I think what your talking about on the valve cover is the CDR valve which takes crankcase gases and sends them into the intake manifold to reburn them.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

6. jbranco254

I had a "mechanic" look at it today , he says that it is the O2 sensor , the shutoff valve , the egr , and somthing else...I , being a jet engine mechanic , kinda the same principal as a diesal , dont buy it...i think it is one thing that just putzed out last week , and he just wants a quick buck...as for the egr valve , its the one on top on the intake mainfold??? which side do i plug? i heard that makes a diffrence...thanks guys for your help , and keep them rolling in....
    Jim
    F-14 D++ SuperTomcat, 18 " wheels , 24,500 Lbs thrust each , Afterburning, Mach 2.3+ at 56,000 ft

7. jbranco254

Anyone?? Help here???

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I would definately suspect the fuel pump it cutting out. From what I hear about the later 6.5s they use a oil pressure switch to control power to the pump. They're is no relay in the circuit so the OP switch takes the full load and eventually croaks. As far as your mechanic goes, find a "good" one who knows electronically controlled diesels OR pay for a membership to the DieselPage.com (or both!). (I never heard of an O2 sensor on a diesel, but I could be wrong).

EGR - if you have one- is mounted in the center manifold opening. CDRV=crankcase depression relief valve: keeps a partial vacume in the crankcase for better ring sealing. Oh ya, if your engine keeps dieing, time to start eyeballing the PMD.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

9. BlueBlazer

Correct me if Im wrong, but a 94 is still mechanical so no PMD. However I think it has an electric lift pump. Im thinking its either the lift pump or the fuel shutoff solenoid going out or has a bad connection.

10. jbranco254

any ideas where the fuel pump , or the shut off valve wire bundles are located???

11. BlueBlazer

Fuel pump (low pressure) is in the fuel tank. The shut off solenoid is on the side of the injector pump and if its like my 82, it will have a large guage pink wire goin to it.

12. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I think you're right, Blue. When you say 6.5 Turbo I start thinking DS4 pumps and such. So where's the oxygen sensor? LOL! He should be able to hear the fuel solenoid click (with a screwdriver or something against the pump and up to his ear). But I've never heard of a fuel solenoid having and intermitten failure (not that it couldn't, just haven't seen it).

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

13. BlueBlazer

Yeah, I think the oxygen sensor is by the canuter valve and just ahead of the distributor coil jk. Youre right, he definitely needs to go to a mechanic that knows diesels.