Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Tybee, May 3, 2002.

1. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Thinking about converting to a gasser someone help convience me not to!

2. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

No! For the love of diesel, no!

Gasser? Why? Which engine setup?

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Why would you want to? If you like spending more money on fuel and worrying about ignition problems then go for it......./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Why gas engines suck:

1. They need a high-voltage life support system that is probably the #1 cause of them not running, and certainly the #1 cause of them running poorly. This life support system includes many extraneous parts like the distributor and spark plugs, just more things to go bad.

2. Diesel fuel contains more energy by volume (20% more than 92 octane premium) than gasoline does. GASOLINE IS WEAK!

3. You already have a nice, EMP proof multi point fuel injection setup. You'll very sad when the big one happens and your TBI computer is fried. After all, you're not seriously considering a carburetor, are you? Carbs date back to the Spanish Inquisition and were invented by French women to keep their men at home while the women went off to their jobs.

4. Fuel Mileage.

5. Chicks dig diesels.

6. Didn't you just buy a spare diesel engine?

7. Gas blazers are mostly uninterestingly common, why join the "350 Lemmings"?

8. It's fun to make the people behind you in traffic suffer in a cloud of noxious diesel smoke. Muahahahah!

9. Ummm... Uhhh....

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

LMAO, all very good points, I only drive it about a 200 miles a month so gas wouldnt be an issue and I do like smoking out tailgators. Yes I did just buy a spare engine, I still need to tear it apart though. I would just like more power and cant afford a turbo! I suppose I could wait a little while and get 3/4 ton axles with a better gear ratio to increase power! Thanks for your responses, Troy

6. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

In reply to...
    "2. Diesel fuel contains more energy by volume (20% more than 92 octane premium) than gasoline does. GASOLINE IS WEAK!"

Diesel has an 8% advantage over gasoline in terms of energy density.

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

My source gives diesel 132,000 BTUs per gallon, 92 Octane gasoline has 115,000 BTUs. The difference is 17,000 BTUs, or about 14.7% of the gasoline value, so I did make a mistake. Looks like I was looking at the figures for 89 octane to get the 20% value, 89 octane is 110,200 BTU.

I don't have the figures for weight per gallon, but I don't really see how that would pertain here. Fuel tanks on these trucks are rated by volume, not weight and the fuels are also purchased by volume, not weight.

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. It's fun to make the people behind you in traffic suffer in a cloud of noxious diesel smoke. Muahahahah!

Oh that is so right...I mean wrong. I can't wait to see my Diesel back on the road. I am so used to driving an S10 right now. I don't think I will be able to fit the Blazer through the tight spots the S10 will get through!! Or it will...with major damage to the objects in question!!!

Stay with the Diesel. They have their ups and downs just like all other vehicles, but when it comes to having torque, great fuel mileage and reliability theres no question!!
    What other engine have you seen go scuba diving, come back up hydrolocked, get pumped out, fire right up and then finish the trails off with NO damamge?!?!?!

9. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I love my diesel I wont put a gas in, its just a 454 sounded good when I posted that.

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I DID IT( SWITCH TO A 454 ) AND WISH I WOULD NOT HAVE with gas at 1.50 a gallon + for 87 and only 6- 8 mpg and diesel at 1.43 and 12-14 mpg it doesnt take long to pay for a burned glow plug or temp sensor i did it because i know the 454 very well and was just learning the 6.2 and didnt feel like going back to school i am now looking for the 6.5 turbo to go back in and my 454 to come out for hot rod just my $.02 worth and experience

11. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't even joke about something like that. You will have about a billion Diesel people going after you, as you can tell.