Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help ....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Nov 17, 2002.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

im going to try to trade some parts for a 6.2 or 6.5 , what do i need to check for ?? are there any "bad " years ? are the 6.2 and 6.5 interchangeable ? this is going to go in my 83 CUCV thanks - Andy

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I believe 82 and 83 6.2s had the bad heads!

3. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt trust anything OLDER than 83. I'd try to go with parts from a 84 or newer 6.2

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

im looking/hoping to get a good running engine .... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

82s and 83s had "bad" heads? Could you give me a little bit more info please?

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

The onlythings I have heard negative about the 82-83 heads are that they have a reputation for sometimes developing a coolent leak at the lower rear corner of the drivers side head and the lower front corner of the passenger side head.

GM also used a different type head bolts in 82-83. 1982-83 6.2s came from the factory with standard type head bolts that were torqued in 2 steps, first to 88 ft/lbs, then to 103 ft/lbs. 1984 and later 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines came equipped with TTY (torque-to-yield) head bolts. When servicing the 82-83 models, GM now recommends using the new TTY bolts. These bolts stretch slightly during final torquing and are designed to provide a more even and longer lasting head loading. TTY head bolts should not be re-used or re-torqued because of this stretching.

Thats all I know.

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I think the dieselpage has a few articles about the problems with 6.2 heads. It's been a while since I read it, but it said something about 83 and 84 heads having a coolant plug (like a freeze plug) in the bottom of the head that can develop a leak. Also something about how almost all 6.2 heads are cracked between the valves. I don't know if the early years were worse, or what.

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I'm running an '82 6.2L C code in my '81 that I've done a lot of work to. I reused the head bolts (didn't know any better at the time). It's a strong running motor. Don't be afraid of any year 6.2L. In fact, I've been told the '82 engines have a different cam gear that gives it a bit more power.

The coolant leak problems only appear when using 6.5L head gaskets on the older engines with the unique coolant passage in the heads.

The 6.2L and 6.5L are interchangeable.

Casey

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

hey thanks , what kind of mileage should i expect from a 6.2 in my 83 CUCV if it is in good running condition ? and should i try and get a 6.5 or are they all compuerized ? thanks ! -Andy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

The coolant passage leaking, dont remember exactly, saw it over at the diesel page. Also I remember reading somewhere that the injectors are diffrent thread pattern on the 82 and 83.

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Depends on your gearing, transmission, and tire size.

For comparison:

My '81 with 700R4 overdrive, 4.10 gears, and 27" tires averages 18-19 mpg driving empty, city or highway. It gets about 12-13 mpg towing heavy (8500 lbs +) trailers.

My '86 K-10 with SM465 non-overdrive, 3.73 gears, and 31" tires averages about 16-17 mpg. It's kinda hard to tell, the speedo's off about 5 mph.

The overdrive makes a lot of difference, I think.

The 6.2L and 6.5L are virtually the same. The only things electronic/computerized on the newer 6.5L's are the injection pumps. The 6.5L came out in 1992, and used a mechanical DB2 fuel injection pump just like the 6.2L in '92 and '93. In 1994, they started using the electronic DS4 pump. However, all the 6.5L engines can be used in any truck simply by swapping out the injection pump for the mechanical style.

Casey

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The '82 models have a coarse-thread injector. '83 and up use fine-thread. The only problem with this is trying to purchase high-pop injectors for the '82. I don't think they exist.

Casey

13. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

One other thing....if you come across a 6.2L that's painted red, it's an '82 model. The '83 and up engines are painted black.

I used to think the later ones were better, but not any more. They're all outstanding motors! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Casey

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

ok so im going to go for a 6.2 cuz i dont want to have to change the injection pump . next Q , how many miles is too many ? like umm the guy says he has access to 5 or 6 how do i find the best one ?? make test em alll for me ? oh his uncle owns a diesel shop ... thanks -Andy can u tell i dont wanna get screwed ? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

To bad you are so far from me. I have three 6.2 and two 6.5 diesels that need a home. I need the room to, Later Mike

16. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

How many miles are too many? Well, the Diesel Depot sells used ones with 100,000 that are guaranteed to go. I wouldn't be worried with one that had 150K or less. They usually go longer than that, but then you might be looking at a rebuild.

If the engine can't be seen running, then don't pay very much. Expect to have to replace the head gaskets. If it's not needed, then you'll be that far ahead.

Most 6.2L's seem to have the head gaskets go first. The bottom end bearings seem to last forever.

Casey

17. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

are any them any good / complete ?? i wonder how much shipping would across the continent ?? probly holy crap alot ...

18. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

They are complete. I think that would be some big green to get them to you. Mike