Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BNeu, Feb 9, 2003.

1. BNeu

BNeu Registered Member

Im looking at buying this suburban on ebay, but it says it has an OMC stern drive motor, and to my knowledge that is a boat motor. Are there a differance in theres motors, and why do you think they might have swapped one of these motors in. If you would like to take a look at the truck and the description feeel free. First time here so please help http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403081238&category=6247

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, it's probably just an odd way of saying the 350 in there is a Marine 350. (An actual chevy 350 block and parts, but built for boat engines - meaning good water sealing and lots of power at the higher rpms). I recently read somewhere that if given the choice to swap in a standard engine or a marine engine, whoever wrote the article would choose a marine engine for the resistance to water. I wish I could remember where/when the article was. Hope that helps....and welcome aboard.

Oh yeah, and if you'd be so kind as to fill out your profile, that'd be great. (Go to "My Home" and choose the top option in the "Edit" area) That will let us know who you are, where you're from, and what you drive. Thanks. Are you from WI - I see the 'burb is from Wisconsin, that's why I ask.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Marine engines make good truck engines. They make a lot of torque.
    They are not high RPM motors. The cams and heads are designed to make a lot of torque on the bottom end.
    It takes a lot of power to get a boat out of the hole and on plane..
    They are not any more watrproof than a regular engine. however they do use High grades of paint on them and thicker coats for external rust controll.
    The only real diference between an auto engine and a marine is Heads design, Cam, and many have forged crankshafts instead of cast(depending on engine and application) and the engines are balanced.

The bolt on parts like the water pump have heavy duty bearings and seals.
    The Carb, Alt, Starter are sealed units...... Not for water proofing but as a fire safety thing.. You dont want your starter/alt making sparks if you have a fuel leak. Fire is really a bummer when you are miles offshore. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The bolt on parts like the water pump have heavy duty bearings and seals.
    The Carb, Alt, Starter are sealed units

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's what I was thinking of...thanks for clearing it up.

And, I agree with you about the gobs of low-end torque, but they do cruise at higher rpms. Don't know how much power they make up there, but my friends boat with an inboard (not a 350, mind you) cruises at 5500 rpm. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah you read that in one of those 4 x magazines, I get them all so I forget where I read it but I read it last month.