Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80Jimmy, Nov 10, 2000.

1. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

My blazer just started eating my rear tires and real fast. I noticed that when I drive it in the mornings when it is cold the right rear tire locks up hard when I barely touch the brake. That causes it to make a real loud bang somewhere in the right rear. Can anyone help?

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I believe what you are describing has to do with the brakes being out of adjustment. What you need to do is crawl under the back of the vehicle, with it jacked up(be careful of course). then loosen the brakes by "clicking the adjuster" with a screw driver, from the back of the "backing plate". This is about where the brake line comes into the brake area. keep clicking until the brake stops evenly with the other one. you test this by starting the vehicle and braking with it up........be careful..... js

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

You better pull the durm and look at the brakes. Loose lining or fluid soaked lining can do funny things. It needs to be fixed.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree, pull the drum and have a good look. Too often the adjusters are seized, or a retainer may be broken.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Do you wheel in it alot? Maybe some dirt or sand is in the drum causing it to lock up. Take the tire off and give the face of the drum a few hits from a hammer to loosen the debris, then take the drum off and look for any internal damage or broken or missing springs. Or, it could be the proportioning valve.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin