Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alf4444, Jul 24, 2003.

1. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Okay, lets get the application information out of the way first. The vehicle is a 78 chev blazer 1/2 ton 4x4 with a sbc 350, th350 trans. and a np203 tcase. I just completed a motor swap with a new gm crate motor. My problem is this, it seems to run great but last night I went to finally pull it out of the garage to start throwing the lift on and it wont move at all. It seems to me that its the tcase but I'm not sure. Everything worked 6 months ago when I pulled it into the garage but now I got nothin. The tranny shifts through all the gears and it will not roll in Park but it does roll freely in all other gears. The tcase seems real hard to shift to I have to force it back into 4lo and it seems to barely engage. Did I forget to hook something up or is something broken? Any help is appreciated.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Allen...
    Problems over the inet are hard to figure out
    heres some basic suggestions
    1) Go over all the basics, lines tight, fluids full, linkages attached.. try to have a friend confirm your observations. I assume you didnt leave out anything major like a torque convertor (Ive made stupid simple mistakes before and found things laying on the bench and have had to say opps)
    2) I suspect the auto... you say it goes trough the gears... did you mean that you can pull the shift lever through the gears or that you disconnected the driveshafts and the ouputs spin?... I think you meant the latter...
    get the auto manual out for some in truck diagnostics (the most important one ..it doesnt move) When you step on the gas can you feel the drivetrain load with torque? if not its the auto...
    3) Transfer cases rarely "fail" unless you blow one up... they will usually give indicative grinding or shifting problems long before they go south.. you said this one was ok when you took it out. As far as it being hard to shift .. without actually feeling it I dont think that alone is indicative of a problem... it may be in a slight bind from the r and r (espcially if its still a real f/t 203 with no kit in it)and a couple of feet of driving would straighten that out... (clutches can freeze to a flywheel over long storage but you have an auto). It is however your next step after the auto,,, perhaps a blown chain etc... you may have to pull the covers and shafts,,, once again I doubt this is the cause at this point
    sorry I cant be more help
    cam

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

No offense but I have to ask a really dumb question, are you sure the flywheel is bolted to the converter?

4. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Idon't think I did do that you are talking about bolts coneecting the flex plate to the torque converter? Damn i feel dumb

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Check that, if that is the problem your lucky... you won't have to pull anything back out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Your not the only one dude!!! When you get in a hurry people tend to forget the little things!!.

7. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Idon't think I did do that you are talking about bolts coneecting the flex plate to the torque converter? Damn i feel dumb

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I'm talking about. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Don't feel dumb, the excitement of the new parts can do it to anyone! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Since you haven't mentioned the truck making any noise, the good news is the two parts weren't beating each other so everythings ok. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

If you have a new crate motor 87 and newer stile and a 78 older stile don’t you need a new flex plate to match it up to the tork converter /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dopey me put a clutch in backwards... gonna flip it soon.... i never did a manual b4 so i learned the hard way.....

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Check that, if that is the problem your lucky... you won't have to pull anything back out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lucky! That was it thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm lucky! That was it thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to hear it was "easy" and that you didn't have to pull a bunch of parts back out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif