Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aj_johnson, Jul 24, 2003.

1. aj_johnson

aj_johnson Registered Member

hey guys, I need some help here..
    I got a '73 blazer with no key!!
    1. how do I get the ignition switch out???
    2. how do I hotwire it?
    THANKS!!

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I know on my 84 you have to pull the steering wheel off and then pull the column apart. Sorry about the year difference. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Good luck!

Kris

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the ignition switch requires you to remove the steering wheel and some other parts.

I ain't gonna go anywhere near the hotwiring part.

You could just have another key made for it or have a new one installed. Alot easier and it also doesn't look like you are trying to rip Blazers off!! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. aj_johnson

lol... I mean for only a temporary solution untill I can either get another key made, or a new switch... but that won't be till next week! anyhoo.. I know I need to pull it apart, I got the wheel off now, and the steering wheel lock off, the turn signal assembly sort of out, but I can't figure out how to disconnect it so I can pull the rest of the collumn out!

5. aj_johnson

6. aj_johnson

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You have the steering wheel off, good
    If you are all the way down to the turn signal you are doing pretty good.
    You have to slip it to the left side. The plug is under the dash and a real b /forums/images/graemlins/blush.giftch to get out. Don't worry about it.
    Next to the steering spline shaft is a small slot shaped hole. Use a thin flat piece of metal to push in there and release the key cylinder. You need to work it around a little bit. It should eventually pop out a little bit.

Gently work the cylinder out and press in the new one.
    Reassemble steering column. DO NOT overtighten the screws, they are in soft aluminum (the downfall of all Chevy's between 73 and 92). Make sure you get the spring on the spline shaft all the way on, otherwise nothing will go on right and your horn will blast during the operation /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.
    Good luck

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence no one will tell ya how to hot wire, I will. Like the name says, just run a wire from the positive side of the batt. to the positive side of the coil, and jump the starter at the silanoid. But if you can't steer it, that doesn't do you any good. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Lock Smiths usualy charge about $65 to do the job. My buddy ( A locksmith) is about to swap mine out this weekend because the outer knob part is fubar.