Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big B, Dec 17, 2000.

1. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

I just finshed my 8 month axle swap and new tire and rim swap but I wont let me drive over 20mph, I swaped the front axle from a 10 bolt to a 8 lug dana 44 and the rear from a 12 bolt to a locked 14-bolt ,I was also runnig ssr's 35x1250x15 but I went to 38x12.50 X16.5, Ok now to the promblem when i get to around 20-25 mph the pass, side tire starts to shake really bad all the tie rods are tight and the stearing arm is tight I can not find anything loose , I took my front sway bar off , could that be the promblem or is it the front caster off and I need to go get another alinment(sp?) my spelling sucks today tired and body shutting down soon I took it out in the feild beside my house and I cant feel it shake but as soon as i get on pavement it wants to get jiggy and shake my teeth out whats wrong ?????? I am about to go crazy someone please help. Am I over looking something ? or what. Thanks ahead of time any input will helpfull thanks Bruce.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

2. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

I am blown away nobody has any Ideas on what could be wrong ?

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would just take it into a alignment shop and get an estaminet(sp?) to get it fixed this will tell you what might be wrong so you could fix it yourself

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Did you tighten everything down while it was up in the air ? If so, then you're binding somewhere and it's causing vibrations. Just a guess. Otherwise, take it in for an inspection.</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Try rotating the tires. Sounds silly but it can be that simple sometimes, especially if the tires are used. Does it pull to one side or the other at all? Make sure ALL your nuts and bolts are tight. If you didn't miss anything, try loosening up the u bolts and make sure that everything is lined up properly. Then I would take it in. Inspections and such cost $$$, double checking your work is free. Good luck!

[​IMG]

6. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Try rotating the front right tire to the right rear and the rear to the front. See if the shake goes away or changes corners of the truck. Do the same with the left side. Then try swapping them from side to side. Make notes on where the shaking moves. It sounds like a bad tire or one thats really out of balance or maybe has a bent rim. If you swap the tires all around and the problem stays teh same in the same place, you have a problem with the axle, suspenion or steering components. Did you replace all of the spring bushings when you swapped axles? Including the uppers? The heavier tires and axle combination may be accentuating a pre-existing problem that wasn't too bad or you didn't notice with the previous setup. Are the axles themselves straight? Are all the bearings ok and properly tightened? Do the driveshaftes line up ok now? Did you replace the U joints? Do they fit in their saddles correctly? I'm sure there are more things to check, but so far this is what comes to mind. If I think of any other probable causes I'll add them later.

7. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

thanks guys the tires and wheels are bran new , I will try everything you all said and see what happens and again thanks.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Jack it up and check the up and down play of the tire. The ball-joints may be bad, and or the wheel bearings. I had a pretty good little vibration, but both my ball-joints and my bearings were shot. So I cant tell you exactly which one was causing the most of the vibs. Hope this helps.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

9. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Your reply about the wheels and tires being new brings to mind something I experienced last year. When I got my new BFG A/T KO's, the jackass installers put some kind of gel inside the tires, presumably a stop leak compound, even though my wheels were in excellent condition and there was no corrosion at all on them. They did so without telling me or getting my permission to do so. The truck would be fine when I left the shop, but in a few days, the truck seemed liked I was driving on square tires. You see, when I parked over night, the gel would gravitate to the bottom of the tire and change the weight distribution causing an unbalanced wheel. I brought it back to them no less than 9 times. They rebalanced and reindexed all the tires many times. When I left the shop, the truck drove nicely. But in a short time, the ride quality went to crap. They thought I was just a whiner and I wasn't happy with a "Truck Ride" as they called it. They actually told me they didn't want to work on my truck anymore. After going over my truck myself at least a dozen times and not finding anything wrong, I complained to BFG who agreed to replace two of the tires. Keep in mind, I still didn't know the cause of the problem, but I was going on the assumption that at least one tire was a defect. After they replaced two tires, the problem was still there. I seriously thought about selling the truck because it was, in my opinion, undrivable -- yet it was my daily driver and only vehicle! I didn't figure out the cause of the problem until I got a miniscule sidewall puncture and had to get a new tire. Some all terrain tires they are! Couldn't handle daily street driving to the Bronx. I can only imagine how they'll hold up off road! I went to a different tire place (thoroughly disgusted with the first) who let me stay in the shop when they worked on my truck. When they dismounted the tire, lo and behold, I saw the gel inside and knew I'd found the problem. I had them dismount all of the other tires to check for gel and found it in the other original tire, but not the two BFG had already replaced. I immediately got on the phone with BFG and made another complaint. They were less than enthusiastic about replacing another 2 tires for me, citing they have no control over their dealers, yada, yada, yada. They finally gave in and agreed to pay for 1 1/2 of the two tires because they said they don't cover road hazzard damage but they would split the cost of that tire. Even after I told them the A/T KO's are supposed to be able to handle off roading and I only had driven on road at that point. In all, I was happy to pay for the 1/2 tire and be done with it.

If I were you, I'd break down a wheel and check to make sure no one put any kind of stop leak or sealer inside your tires.

BTW, the jackass dealer who caused the whole problem is APOW in Yonkers, NY on Saw Mill River Road. I'd never in a million years recommend them after what I went through and the way they treated me. I told BFG everything, including that APOW was recommended to me by BFG's own website as one of their dealers. Go figure.

On the other hand, Tire Buying Service in Elmsford, NY (914) 592-3750 is the other dealer I went to and they were very accomodating and straightforward. They knew I was a potential problem customer (after I explained my story and troubles with APOW) and they still went ahead and gave me the benefit of the doubt that I knew what I was talking about. They earned my business forever.

Sorry about such a long post, but it feels good to finally tell someone who can relate...

10. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

I would have been pissed too. But I mounted the tires my self up at a friends shop. So i know thats not the promblem I hooked my sway bar back up but its still shaking I think it is the ballance(sp) of the tires I am going to take them off and take them up to a tire shop and get them reballanced , I was told buy a guy up at 4wp to buy a stering stablizer for the other side also and run one on each side what do you think? I am getting very angry with the whole thing 8 months with out going off roading and I am about to burst , Thanks for all the help so far Bruce.

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

11. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

That sounds like somthing someone from 4WP would say. Stearing Stablizers just hide problems, they don't fix them. Try the reballancing first then if thats not it keep looking for the problem, don't try to hide it.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

12. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

well I am not trying to hide it and second those guys are full of [censored] they help have you ever drove a truck with 38-44 swampers well I have and when you are driving down the street and hit a pot hole and it jerks the sterring wheel out of you hand and almost breaks your wrest you will be wishing you had some strerring stablizers on it . Now in the dirt I dont know if they really help but on the street they do . I think they were talking about they dirt and not the street .

bigb4x4.coloradok5.com

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

And usually the reason that the wheel pulls from your hands is a steering problem, something like bump steer from a lift big enough to fit tires that size. And when you put on a stablizer it helps by not letting it turn as fast therefore the jerk at the wheel dosen't seem as bad. And in essance you are just hiding the problem insted of fixing the steering problem. Thats all I am saying.

[​IMG] I have to agree with the Puddy Cat. [​IMG]

14. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Re-pack your bearings and make sure that the spindle locknuts are GOOD AND TIGHT!!!!! If you jack up that tire and it wiggles in "ANY" way, you need to tighten up the spindle nut and lock-nut. Take off the wheel and tire and then reomave your caliper, then see if you can wiggle the hub and rotor.

You could be in for a world of hurt when that whole damned wheel, hub, rotor, caliper assembly just comes off while you're going down the road.

When I first got my blazer I was on the way to NAPA and my left front wheel started wobbling like crazy. It turns out that the bearings were completely shot, which in turn, screwed up my spindle and hub too. Yeah, only like 250.00 in parts, to a complete rookie, to get that fixed. I wound up having to get new hubs too, because the heat generated from the fragged bearings MELTED the turn-dial on the drivers side. Nothing better than being in front of a parts store when you break down though.

Anyways, after that experience I am very conscious about the status of my wheel bearings at all times and I've gotten to where I can rip both of them down and re-pack them in about two hours start to finish.

HTH, and good luck,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!