Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Helper springs for 1/2 burb.

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by rjfguitar, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My dad bought an '04 Interstate 27 foot inclosed snowmobile trailer a few days ago. It weighs about 6,500lbs fully loaded with all four mountain sleds in and gear/gas. He insists that he will pull it mostly with is 1998 1/2 ton suburban vortec 350/4L60E instead of my '01 dodge cummins or the '98 C30 dually vortec 454/nv4500 ranch truck that would be perfect. :mad: The burb seems to have enough power but it sags fairly bad in the rear and it feels like we are on a boat sometimes if it is a really rough road. It isn't all that bad in good road conditions but something to help it out to make it feel more stable under bad road conditions would be nice, especially up in the mountains in bad weather.

Has anyone used the Hellwig helper springs or the roadmaster system? We are looking at those kits in summit. The air bag deal is nice but expensive for a premium setup. What works well guys to help out the rear springs just a little and make it feel a little more stable? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I went with the Air bags simply because of the adjustability of them. I have not had any problems with mine yet and they have been on for about 9 months now.

I know you said that they were your second option but I just thought i'd give you my .02 on them.:D

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I would get an equalizer hitch. It would take some of the weight off the back and put it on the front axle. It makes a huge difference in ride quality and safety -- plus it is pretty inexpensive for what you get. Mine made a world of difference when pulling a heavy enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton truck.

Here's the manufacturer's website http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

The reason I went with the air bags on my 3/4 ton Burb is because the equalizer didn't help. It would lift up the rear but never enough to make it level. Now I don't even need to use the equalizer bars with the air bags.:cool1:

5. rjfguitar

The problem is the tongue on our enclosed trailer won't work with the equalizer hitch. Thank you though. :)

6. rjfguitar

He is considering the air bags but would like to find something cheaper if he can.

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

My .02, although it may not be to great $$ wise.

Airbags and bilstein shocks. And for sure verify it has a tranny cooler.

John