Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Helpful hint..........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by akbound, Mar 20, 2005.

1. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Apr 20, 2004
    .........when trying to start and get the timing right on your newly rebuilt engine it REALLY helps to hook up the vacuum line from the brake booster.

I was only reading 5 on my vacuum meter yesterday.

I didn't mess with it at all today because I owed my 2-year old some dad time.

Sitting here I had an epiphany and ran out to the truck with a flashlight and found the hose laying free at the back of the carb. Massive vacuum leak found!! First thing after work tomorrow I will hook it up and get it timed.:grin:
  2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2001

Epiphany #2 -

DON'T use fuel line for the vaccum line!!!! It will collapse over time and cause you to have very weak brakes. It's the kind of thing that will take you FOREVER to figure out. REAL Vaccuum Line is more rigid and won't collapse the way a fuel line will.......

If you didn't put that hose on yourself, go check it....the previous owner may have made a "subsitution" that you won't like. I drove around with a collapsed vaccuum line for at least a year before a buddy of mine noticed it on my truck. It was a night and day difference in braking power.
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

Yup--use "power brake hose" or "air brake hose" on the booster!--or at least something with thick stiff walls that wont suck shut!...

I've seen several motors die an early death when regular fuel line or cheap soft vacuum hose was used on the PVC valve,and it sucked shut,rendering the PCV valve useless--and the motor sludged up badly,and killed it long before its time..:crazy: