Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

helping the looks of a newer sub,????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Apr 24, 2005.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

this is the beast in question,

I got it mainly to use for work, going out and towing, but it needs more visual appeal imho, I just want to enjoy it a little more with out hurting the intended reason of having it.

I figure I will start with a catback exaust with the help of flowmaster, a k&N cool intake system and some wheels and more aggresive tires.

I was "considering" cranking the t-bars then getting it re-aligned, but other then a stiffer ride, is their any other drawbacks or wear and tear? Or is it worth it to just pick up a suspension lift for it, such as a 4 inch, or maybe a 6 inch if I wanted to run some 35's.

the thing that irks me is that it already gets only 13-15 mpg's with the 454, so lifting it is only going to hurt me more at the pump, plus I have no intention of wheeling the sub at all. Maybe just stuff some 285's and some 16 or 17 inch rims under there?

Do any of you guys have a newer sub thats lifted?

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My friend has a '97 Z71 with cranked t-bars and an add-a-leaf in the rear with 33's. He has had it like this for over 100,000 miles with no issues, and he runs the snot out of it. It doesn't really ride much worse than my girfriends stock Z71.

My bro has a '94 burb with 9" lift and 36" Iroks on 15x12 wheels, it rides real nice and looks awesome.

:xmas:

3. supersize75k5

[​IMG]

found this one on ebay, I like the looks and the rims are just cheapy rock crawler rims with the factory center caps :thinking:

the only thing I dont like is that its more of a poser add on than anything else, but it does look tough :D

4. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

get rid of the hood and roof rack and i would drive it :grin:

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Here Ya Go

Get some clear corners and some clear turn lenses and that'll make it look 10x better. I cranked the torsion bars enough to level it up and threw some 285s on. Looks good in my opinion, really fills the wheel wells out...

[​IMG]

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Looks nice to me the way it is. I'ld put some nice wheels and leave it alone.

7. supersize75k5

ya I think the front end looks better, I am adding a grill to my goodies list too,

here is a sub with some 265 tirs and some nice 16 inch rims, I already have new tires on it that are 265's as well,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now were talkin....

who want to go to the mall???

:yikes: :rotfl: [​IMG]

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Depends on you- since its intended purpose is still mainly towing, I'd definately shy away from lift kits. (thats my opinion, others say they tow just fine). most lift kits do put additional angles on the CV shafts, so I have heard they can pop out.

If you want to give it a somewhat more aggressive and stylish look- there are some interesting options-

Wheels: I think 16's are fine, and there are plenty of tire avalibility- though 17's are creaping up just as much in popularity. 285x75 is a good size, about 33" in height. Plus load carrying caacity is also important. Alcoa wheels are always a classic, but some newer wheels are also very nice, such as the new welds.

Body: Depends on how extreme you want to get. You can roll the tail pan, etc etc. Bolt on items include:

Front end Conversion: (Escalade front clip), including hood, headlights, turn signals.
    Chrome roof rack
    Power Extending towing mirrors
    Chrome the door handles (or shave them)

Engine/exhuast: K*N makes a FIPKA(sp?) air intake system. Works very well. A nice pair of full length exhaust headers, to a 3.5" exhaust to a single dynomax or Flowmaster would be sweet.

Power steps, always a good option when you want to go out and the better half is in a skirt.

HID kit to light up the night, without having additional lights on the outside.

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My DD, obviously more of a showpiece than anything. I think it looks pretty decent for a '93 though.

Picture 001.jpg

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your so Funny Shawn .

Leave well enough alone , don't waste your money .

FIx the roadster for lookin' good .

Already have a tube monster for off road lookin' good .

I can think of all the goodies you can buy with the grille and lift money . Like maybe a winch for your 75 so you self extract yourself .

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I spent 215 bucks for my front end treatment...Well worth it, grill isnt even necessary, just get the clears and the new bowtie...

12. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

The Burb im driving right now has some nice chrome step bars. I would say some step bars, grill guard, and the amber clearance lights. Rims if you want.

Later

13. supersize75k5

lol paul, your so right, but I plan to deal with the blazer at the end of the summer...the blazer needs some lovin for sure, but she aint seeing any $$$ untill the end of summer, I just want to make the sub stand out a little more and look more apealing to me. I do like the way it looks so I am just going for small changes,

I think I am settles on a add a-leaf, the t-bars cranked, a grill and some nicer rims but nothing crazy. I am not leaning twoards a lift. A lift is alot of money that would serve no use on the sub. :D

14. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

Where did you get that reality flag z71 sticker i want some :grin:

15. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

3" body then 33 tires on nice rims. then get gmc grill swap setup and get billit grill for it. and some nerf bars. will be simply and vary good for look and use of the truck. and if its a trailer haller dont lift it to much as this will make it not as good a haller as you first wanted it for. just simple and easy to handle.

i have pic of yours and mine as the trailer hallers. my truck is simple but halls nice and my trailer is nice also 10k can put on anything.

320728_469_full.jpg

crew cab 96.jpg

10k trailer 001.jpg

16. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Dual exhaust, and some of the newer 8 lug factory alcoa wheels.

I think those new 3/4 and 1 ton wheels are sweet. Buy some take-offs from a dealer, and then slap some 285 BFG's or something on there and be done with it.

17. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

I have a '99 Suburban that I drive daily and tow my Jeep with. I just got a 2" body lift and 285's for it. I went with a 2" body lift becuase I didn't want to alter the ride at all, and it's pretty cheap. It is just enough to clear 285's, without towering above them. My wife also will appreciate the lower height.

I already had a cowl induction hood and a painted-to-match grille, so I think it will look pretty good. It needed something to separate it from the rest of the soccer-mom Suburbans out there.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Take the moulding off, get clear corners and new parking lights, maybe a billet grille (im not to fond of them) get rid of the 2 tone paint job, color match the door handles and mirrors.

Heres my buddies 98, eventhough its a GMC, it looks good.
    [​IMG]

19. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Or some new tires

Dan

20. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

the thing that irks me is that it already gets only 13-15 mpg's with the 454, so lifting it is only going to hurt me more at the pump, plus I have no intention of wheeling the sub at all. Maybe just stuff some 285's and some 16 or 17 inch rims under there?

13-15 sounds good to me. I am driving a 3/4ton 2003 suburban with the 6.0 and it is only getting 9.5-10mpg around town and it doesnt seem to do any better on the highway, and lets not even talk about towing with it! My parents used to have a '99 3/4 ton sub with the 454, I loved that truck! Towed awesome and got about the same if not a little better millage than the 6.0. As far as modding your sub goes I would just crank the torrsions or get a small suspension lift(I think you can get 2-3" suspensions for them). I like the idea somone had about making the whole truck red and color matching the door handles and mirrors. I also think clear lenses and a billet grille would look good, maybe even a cowl induction hood. Just please stay away from a body lift, In my opinion those body style trucks look horrible with them!