Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculine Outside Panels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stus84, Sep 8, 2005.

1. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

I have read just about every post regarding herculining the outside & inside of a rig and have decided do it. From the crease/body line down to the bottom and backside of the rocker panels all the way along the rig bumper to bumper plus some tailgate. Since this is a pretty permanent mod i thaught I would throw it out there to see if anyone thaught it was a really bad idea or have recently done anything like it. I have some bad rust action but it is all under that body line so i figure i would get away with fixing the rust and not having to paint. Plus i think it looks pretty sweeet and I hear it is easy to clean and touch up.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Some guys didn't like it, I love mine. I used Durabak. Prep is important for any of this stuff to stick. Durabak required cleaning the truck with Xylene first.

There is some oxidation over time, but with mine, most of it can be scrubbed off. It stays cleaner than I thought, and cleans with dish soap and scrub brush.

[​IMG]

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used Durabak on mine also, only mine is smooth. You can either wash it like a regular car or you can use a brush. If you had really good paint equipment I'd even consider doing it to a daily driver. If you thin it out enough it does spray nice.

[​IMG]

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You can paint over herculiner as well. I don't know technically how it should be done, but I painted over some of mine the day after I put the herculiner down and the paint adhered very well and still does. Otherwise the only other thing I can add is that herculiner turns flat black pretty quick in the sun. I did my entire tub (inside) and am considering painting it white to keep the temp down in the sun.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

*start of hijack* Cyber, did you use the smooth mid blue or custom mix that color? It looks darker than the mid blue I got (I mixed mid blue, black and red to get a slate blue) *end of hijack*

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To be honest, I don't know. I bought two cans of Smooth Blue and the colors weren't the same. The guy I bought it from was supposed to figure out why but I haven't heard from him in weeks.

The one can was really light (the light blue textured color) if you remember my post about it. The color you see in the picture above is the second can which was much darker. And it was thick, like Nickelodeon Gak kind of thick (if you remember that stuff). The light blue stuff was runny like latex house paint.

One of my friends, per my recommendation, bought some of the Smooth Blue to paint on the bottom of his newish Dodge pickup. I haven't seen him yet to be able to compare blues.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I used herculiner to cover my blazer from head to toe. It was not a daily driver so I didn't care about how it looked. I also used Durabak on the tube fenders and crusher corners I put on my jeep. All in all I would say the herculiner stuck to the metal better with less prep work but was very coarse. The Druabak requires scuffing and cleaning with xylene and even then it peeled in a few spots. I love the Durabak and I think it is much smoother than herc. Kinda like Line-X. Both faded about the same but I just go over it with glossy rustoleum and it looks brand new.

Herc
    [​IMG]

Bak

[​IMG]

8. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess I am going to be the lone dissenting voice. I Herculined the back of my truck and was not happy. I wanted to do it right so I wired brushed the bed with a drill and wire wheel. Then used the Scotch brite type pad that came with the kit and went over everything really well. Then I took Xylene and wiped down the bed completely, twice. I rolled the Herculiner on, let it dry then did the second coat. It did not stick very well, plus it scaped off everytime I slid something into the bed. Where the front tire of the motorcycle rubs against the front of the bed rail it also rubbed off. The sun faded it pretty bad as well. After two years I redid it as I didn't want the bare metal to rust - with the same results.

I am currently looking to cover the inside of the tub on the K5. Will not be using Herculiner.

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I wonder if anyone has tried to remove the little rubber bits from herculiner? I would think you could run it through a piece of screen or something...then you would have a smooth finish. Me personally, I don't care. I like the traction, even put some on the top of my front bumper so it was more non-skid when working on the truck...also want to do it do my pedals and lose the rubber pads altogether.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

*start hijack*Cyber - sorry, no I didn't remember. I have CRS. :crazy: *end of hijack - again*

11. stus84

stus84 1/2 ton status

POR15 First or no

In one of the posts I read in my search soemone said that the herc. holds moisture underneith. if this is true should I POR 15 the body panels before I herc them. This is not a daily driver but it does drive in the winter to the trails.