Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculiner Exterior

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, May 25, 2006.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I'm sure some of you have herculinered the outside of your blazers? I see were you can get it in white now...does anyone know if you can add pigment to this to match or come close to an original color? Also how well does the roll on stuff hold up and look?

2. 87350blaz

87350blaz Registered Member

someone in my area did thier j**p looked great. At first it was shiny but as it set in the sun came to look more like bed liner. But i heard that there is a sealer to keep is shiny if you like.

3. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

I did my bronco in durabak

[​IMG]

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Got anymore pics? How long ago did you do it? Is it fading bad or turning greenish?

5. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I did the bottom 10 inches (rockers up) in Line-X. Cost about as much as getting a bed done and it has a really cool two tone look. I kept it black and my Blazer is the factory Bermuda blue (though it is the alternate Darker bermuda) with a white top. I need to post some pics.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know if it is different now but about 5 years ago I did my rig and helped do 3 others 2 in Durabak one in Herculiner and one in the Duplicolor stuff. After about 2 years they all looked really chalky on the outside, coulnd't get them to shine up at all. The only rig that is still around is white Herculiner and it looks like crap. Don't get me wrong the stuff is still doing its job hasn't peeled or cracked it just looks really bad. The truck that was done in Durabak looked like this when the guy trashed it about a year ago, wasn't black anymore, more of a chalky gray. None of the uv protector stuff that they sell now was around then

7. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

Roughly, how many gallons of bedliner did it take to cover the outside of those vehicles

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Took me a little over 2, but I just used everything I mixed (I mixed a "custom" blue) and didn't want to waste it. Was Durabak. The black I used on the top is still shiny after 2 years, the blue not so much, but isn't really faded so I don't mind it.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you do anything special to the black to keep it from fading? Did it make your truck noticeably hotter?

10. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

You can buy stuff now too that refurbishes the shine. But really if your doing this you probably don't care what it looks like right? I did some on my truck, black knock off Rhino and it did fade to flat black. But I bet it would come back to a shine without any trouble.

11. JOEDEZZY

JOEDEZZY 1/2 ton status

Has anyone tried the Tan Duraback? I really like the look of that color but I've only seen it used on the interior of vehicles, I'm wonderin what the elments do to the color

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I didn't do anything to the black - it just seems to wear better. The blue I mixed used their mid blue, black and a little red. It's crossed my mind that maybe (tho I can't imagine why) mixing the colors would somehow alter its ability to retain shine. Only thing I can think of is that although the blue and black were UV types (the company calls them -18 versions) the little bit of red I used (less than a cup) was not UV protected so maybe that somehow altered the outcome a bit.

The black still looks really good. And I didn't notice much of a diff in heat. What does make a huge diff in heat is a soft top with the sides down.

Re: tan Durabak. I think the tan would look even better if it wasn't shiny. Just MHO. If it acted like the black it wouldn't fade noticeably if you got the 18 formula.

13. CasterTroy

CasterTroy Registered Member

No fading, no turning. Went on with a roller and I used 3 quarts for what I did

I did the entire tailgate, the hood like you see, and the sides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can imagine it took several hours to prep. I used a 1/4" painters tape to mask the edges, then sanded the finish with 600 wet to rough it up. Once that was done I masked the rest with just masking tape and the actual application of the durabak took less than 2 hours.

Durabak is rough as hell and will take your skin off if you happen to rub up against it so BE CAREFUL.
    I'm not kidding. I was in a tank top trying to get around the bronco in the garage to get some nails on a shelf next to it and had to squeeze between the fender and wall to get back to the shelf and I came out with stripes on my arm that started bleeding!

I hit several trees with the front fenders and it took the bark off but never the durabak

I'd say if I did the WHOLE exterior it would take 2 gallons (8 quarts) but thats with a liberal dose of 2 cotes

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

damn that looks good! for a ferd :)