Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculiner - How much will I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Waxer, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm going to be herculining the entire tub on my 74 K5. From the top of the floorboard under the dash to the tailgate. Has anyone done that large of an area? How much will I need to buy? What all will I need to complete the job? Thanks in advance.

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

2. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

depends on how thick you want it. i did the bed of my dakota about a year ago. 2 coats only took half a gallon but now its starting to come off. not peeling, but it looks like the original paint is bleeding through

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN[​IMG]

3. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I did 2 coats from the t-case shifter back, all the way up the sides of the beds, and the tailgate in my 1st gen and it took 1.5 gallons putting it on pretty thick.

A few tips...scuff the surface with a sander and use Xylol to clean the surface real good and buy yourself some extra foam rollers. The 2 that came with herculiner kit wore out quickly and I had to scramble to find more.

Good luck.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I did two coats and put it on pretty thick in my cab area and the lower 1/3 of the doors. I used nearly the full gallon. I may have set it on thicker than it needed to be though. You'll probably want to use gloves and some long sleeves.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

5. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

I did the bed of my 2000 Dodge Ram (sorry) and I bought a gallon and a quart. The bed and the gate got 2 good coats. Mudnut I don't know what you did but mine looks sweet. I did mine a year ago. I have hauled a lot of different [censored] in the bed, looks sweet. If you sand everything down lightly and wipe down with some acetone or paint thinner. It will be sweet. But you have to prep it like they say, no short cuts. If you want pics of my bed let me know. I am telling you it worked great, and would use it agian.