Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

herculiner or??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76JIMMYWPG, May 6, 2002.

1. 76JIMMYWPG

76JIMMYWPG Registered Member

I have a 76 jimmy in great shape outside, but in need of tlc inside, the carpet is so weak if you turn you foot while planted it tears, I am interested in putting a liner on the floor, but not sure which one to use. I am in Canada so if there are any suppliers of the material known of up here, their whereabouts would be a big help.

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You can always get vinyl or a rubber substance, they work great. I run vynl carpet or whatever and it makes cleaning MUCH easier.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dig my herculiner. see pics in my webshots albums. If you had any specific questions about it, lemme know,

J

4. 76JIMMYWPG

do you have pics of what your floor looks like? i'd like to see. I am really leaning towards doing the herculiner myself, but would like to hear some more opinions!

5. jekbrown

yeah... on my webshots albums... link is in my sig...

J

6. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I have used the herculiner on J**ps its easy to do and holds up well. I will be using it on my sub. when I put the interer back together.

7. sagechicken

sagechicken Registered Member

I put the herculiner in my company truck. If put in right, I'm sure it will hold up pretty good. I used the scouring pad that was included with the kit, but I wish I would I would have used a fine sandpaper to rough the bed up. It has scraped off in a couple spots, but I also abuse the bed on a daily basis.

8. 76JIMMYWPG

Thanks for all the input, I am going to go with the herculiner floor, seems its too expensive to get line-x or other spray in liners, and they didn't seem to keen on doing it either. Now all i have to do is find a place in central Canada that can supply me with Herc!

9. jekbrown

1 more thing... if you want the herc to maintain the shiny look it has when you install it, you MUST spray some kind of UV protecting top coat on it... otherwise after a few days of sun it will turn a VERY flat black. Personally, I dont care... so I have never worried about it... but others might want a specific look...

J

10. 76JIMMYWPG

Thanks again Jekbrown. Do you mean like a clearcoat?Or does Herc have a uv topcoat for it? Now all I have to do is find someone who sells Herc in Manitoba, Canada, or anywhere in Canada for that matter!

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you can order it online.

make sure to either grind the surface or POR-15 it to keep the rust from spreading.

I am putting herculiner down than a vynal mat to keep road noice, creaking and heat/cold out. once I do that, i will be able to clean the truck with a hose (inside and out) and not worry about rust.

Pics can be seen in the sig.

JMHO

12. 76JIMMYWPG

When you say to grind the surface, do you mean grind all the paint off the bed? or just scuff it up with some sandpaper? and then clean it with a mineral spirit or something? What is POR-15?

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd say a wire wheel would suffice...unless there is a lot of rust scale then it would be better to grind that off first.

POR-15 is a rust convertor, awesome stuff but a litle spendy. It is worth it though. Try a search using POR-15 as the key-word...you should get the main site quite quickly. If I recall correctly there are Canadian distributors for POR-15 and Princesss Auto carries Herculiner. I just saw it in their catalog for $199 (CDN $$) for 5 litres...

http://www.princessauto.com

Rene

14. jekbrown

yeah the guys that make Herc sell a clear top coat... but I have a sneaking suspicion that any old clear top-coat rattle can stuff would work and cost a lot less to boot... just MO. Anyone actually used it?

J

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

16. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I got a question about Herculiner, I have been thinking about putting it on my blazer for a while now, I don't currently have any carpet and with the summers here in Texas it gets really hot inside the cab... How much does Herculiner stop the heat from comming in from the engine and trans, thanks for the info... and how much would it take for the entire inside... I have heard about a gallon and a quart???
    Sergio

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

my 79 K5 took one gallan and a quart to do the entire floor pan and rear tailgate. I am going to get another quart for the sides behind the panels soon.

18. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

My Herculiner story:

I really hated the way my interior looked. There was dried "liquid nails" from a past carpet install, that black glue stuff the factory uses was everwhere, and the factory cardboard side panels were so wasted that i replaced them with sheetmetal (but they still didnt look right), etc.

after months of lookin at it, i decided it was time to get busy, i totally stripped the interior and began the absolutely worst part of Herculiner which is prep. i wirebrushed and wirebrushed over a FULL weekend, masked the dash and other small areas and re-painted my roll cage red.

the following weekend, i masked off the rollcage and other parts i didnt need/want the herculiner on and applied it over the course of a sunday. i coated the whole tub once, then went back and applied a second coat on the driver/pass/ and rear cargo areas. there really wasnt any reason to give the sides a second coat. i let it sit a full day, then after work went back and re-installed all my seats and stuff. i LOVE the way it turned out. I do have rubber floor mats (which are parts of a pick-up bedliner trimmed to fit the whole footwell), but i can tell you, it made a huge difference on the heat rtansferred from the exaust/engine to the floorboard. and like what was stated above, i can use the water hose and a scrub brush to clean up the interior. I AM VERY SATISFIED WITH HERC THUS FAR!!!!!!

I will have pics up soon.

rob