Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

herculiner over por-15...?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i have already done the floor boards on my 81' with por-15. i am planning on puttin herc d.i.yurself liner over the por-15. i read an earlier post that said herc wont stick unless you put the "por 15" top coat. does the primer absolutley HAVE to be the por 15 brand? or can i use any primer of choice? please help, im doing to herc this week. thanx in advance.

2. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

To use any other primer you will have to sand the por15, I'd spend the money and use the por15 tie coat primer because por15 does not sand easily.

3. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I layed a nice heavy coat of POR-15 down on the floor then scuffed it up which was a pain. Then I layed down a heavy coat of Hurculiner about 2 years ago. It is still holding up really well, no pealing or anything. I would do it again. I had no probelms.

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I used POR15 on the floorboards and primer in other places. After scuffing the POR15 with Scotch Brite I sprayed on Duplicolor bedliner which is similar to the Herculiner in composition. The bedliner bonded better to the POR15 than it did to the automotive primer over metal. You don't need the POR primer or any other primer. Not to be negative....but, I would not use Herculiner or Duplicolor if I was to do it again. Neither one is strong enough to resist impacts or scratches. They need constant touch up if you play rough. If you can afford it, get a Rhino /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . See ya, JT