Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculiner paintjob

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, Jun 6, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Has anyone done this? Is it a good option to getting a real paintjob? It would undoutedly cost more at first but would pay for itself over the longrun(no waxing or maintenance) And since they put that stuff on about 1/4 in thick it would be good body armor wouldn't it?

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've heard the stuff won't hold its color very long when exposed to UV rays, i.e. the sun. It will fade out to a gray color and look chalky. In areas where its hidden from the sun most of the time, the stuff is great. I have seen rigs done like what you are talking about, but with line-x or rhino. Looks great. Much more durable than paint. You might look into implament paint though. Like what is used on tractor and such. Good luck.

Kris

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard the stuff won't hold its color very long when exposed to UV rays, i.e. the sun. It will fade out to a gray color and look chalky. In areas where its hidden from the sun most of the time, the stuff is great. I have seen rigs done like what you are talking about, but with line-x or rhino. Looks great. Much more durable than paint. You might look into implament paint though. Like what is used on tractor and such. Good luck.

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

they are marketing a UV protectant for it now. Have only seen it on their website though (www.herculiner.com)

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hurculiners doesn't go on 1/4". It brushes on like paint with shreaded bits or rubber added. I did a bed a while back. It's used for construction but is a mess. All peeling up. The Rhino liner I did in another truck still looks good (and that is 1/4" on the floor of the bed). I'd stay away from the Hurculiner for anything other than interior areas.

Eric M.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, herc is best for interior stuff. I stripped my interior a few years back, and herculined everything. It holds up great... but then again I dont use my rig as a work truck either (ie no wacky hauling or shoveling stuff in the bed or anything like that). For exterior stuff I'd recommend Line-X. I knew a guy at my old work that had a 'yota that was completely covered inside and out with the stuff and it looked great. My only reservation about doing that kinda thing is (other than the cost!) what happens if u get body damage? does the line-x make it that much harder/more spendy to repair? Might make the body slightly harder to dent I guess...

j

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hurculiners doesn't go on 1/4". It brushes on like paint with shreaded bits or rubber added. I did a bed a while back. It's used for construction but is a mess. All peeling up. The Rhino liner I did in another truck still looks good (and that is 1/4" on the floor of the bed). I'd stay away from the Hurculiner for anything other than interior areas.

Eric M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you can use a under coating gun with it and spary it in. That's how I will be doing mine. Now getting it a 1/4 inch thick may still not happen.

The key is the prep as well. If it's not prepped properly it will come loose. Rattle can paint can cause ANY beadliner problems. BigJbear had his 80 Rhino lined. They guy doing it noticed that the tail gate has been touched up. They guy point blank told him it would probably peal in that area before he did the job and sure enough a couple years later it did.