Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

herculiner prep over por15?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i know that the por 15 has cured almost "rock hard". now i am going to apply the herculiner over the por15. do you think that a fairly good "scuffing" with a wire wheel will be sufficient on an angle grinder? afterwards, i plan to clean it up good with xylol, as recommended. should this be good enough prep? any input is appreciated. thanx.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think using the wire wheel will give it enough bite.
    As long as you can take you hand over it and feel it rough.
    -- Mike

3. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

sweet. I am going to do the prep today, and i'll see how well it looks after wire wheelin' it. If it appears and feels like it has enough bite, i'll herc it. thanx

4. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Dude...
    Follow the instructions on the can of POR exatly.I'm doing the exact same thing that you are.I am going to use their tie coat primer over the POR15.,Reason for that is I thought I could paint the stuff over sanded bare metal(no rust), looked great.The next week I was working on the area that I painted and I chipped it.When I went to blow off the dust with high pressure air, the entire coat of POR lifted off the surface and blew away, since then I have redone it with the proper steps, ie: POR metal ready acid and then repainted two thin coats of POR15.The stuff is now Bullet proof.For the extra cost of tie coat primer and the extra time of one step(painting it on),It is well worth it.Consider the cost of the herc and the labour involved in stripping that s*it off if there is a problem with adhesion over bare POR15, IMO it's weel worth the piece of mind knowing that you will never have a problem by doing that extra step now...
    just my.02