Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculiner Rocks!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1970Jimmy, Oct 17, 2002.

1. 1970Jimmy

1970Jimmy Registered Member

Just got finished putting Herculiner down in the entire tub of my Jimmy. That stuff is so cool. BUT, I failed to adhere to the instructions where it said to wear gloves...I have NEVER had anything so tough on my hands. I tried everything from gasoline to tar remover to paint thinner without any results. It looked like I was wearing black rubber gloves. I finally checked the manuf. web site and they suggested Xylene. Well, after a headache from breathing that stuff and about 30 mins of scrubbing, my hands came (relatively) clean. You would think I would have learned to wear gloves earlier this week when I had to scrape Bondo off my hands with a knife...

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Gloves--We don't need not stinking Gloves /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yeah I bet that stuff is a real pain in the A** to get off!

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

at least you didn't get any on your Hootus like that poor Furd Exploder owner did a while back
    /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    at least you didn't get any on your Hootus like that poor Furd Exploder owner did a while back

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO! man that was funny! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That was a pretty hilarious post. But now I suppose we'll have to re-link it for the newer people that haven't a clue as to what we're talking about.

Yup, Herculiner is good stuff. I've got it covering my rockers and rear inner fender wells. Very tough stuff and good looking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif that thread was hilarious. later.

jacob

7. Grim-Reaper

Did you knotice any improvemnt on sound deading with it?

8. 1970Jimmy

Well, I still haven't assembled eveything. The top, rear seat, passenger seat, console, spare, tool box, roll bar, etc. is still on my back porch. I'll post about the noise when I get it all back together.

9. Grim-Reaper

hahahahaha I put Hootus and Hurculiner in Google...MAN there is a ton of hits on that LOL That guy is going to go to his grave known as the guy that got Hurculiner on his hootus. !/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Here is the link!
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18595&amp;pagenumber=1 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

When I did my tub, I leaned over to redo a part inside and put my right knee in it. I didn't worry much about it. It's only like paint! I continued what I was doing. later I noticed that the pant's were sticking to my knee. so I went to pull It away. no such!! stuck fast. I finally got the pants off, gas didn't help or make me smell any better! I had a big black spot on my knee for a week! every time My wife say it all she could do is laugh and mke racial jokes!

11. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Does that stuff go on evenly. I want to put in Line-X but the cost is crazy. I don't want a half-a$$ job though &amp; I'm leary of the Hurculiner because I want it to look professional. What did you do about the holes for the seats, etc? Post some pics if you can!

12. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Herculiner is the s@%*!!! Fire will not even damage it....and it helps alot on road noise....Also, from the luck I had with it, it completly ended rust. If you think its messy though, wait till you get under your blazer to start putting it on /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

13. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When I did my whole outside RED. I had to climb a ladder to get the roof.. I was going up it and spilled some on my shorts.. I did the same thing.. Figured I'd go ahead and finsh the section I was working on.. Then my shorts started sticking to me.. I had the xylol and that started burning my skin to get the stuff off.. And I did get a little on my hootus also.. And man does xylol burn there..

Use a piece of tape over the wholes for the seats.. Then when you need to find them you just use a small nail and tape around untill it goes threw... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I got a question... is this stuff really good? Like if wanted to take out carpet in the back and herculine it all? Do you need to do more than 1 coat? And is it just the rollon stuff you get from o-riely's? Thanks

15. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

LMFAO I fell out of my chair laughing so hard! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Thats a great thread im going to have to bookmark it.

16. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey send us pictures of the Herc interior! I am gonna spray mine in a month or so. Dad bought a 'undercoat' gun and already shot Herculiner in his pickup bed, and my father in law and brother in law's pickup beds too.

We also did the bottom of his rockers, etc and then painted over it. Very nice looking. We are going to shoot the bottom of all my rockers, etc on the Jimmy and paint over them and the entire tub, etc obviously.

I will get some pictures... poor Jimmy is in primer camo right now!!!

Sam

17. 1970Jimmy

The herculiner is so easy to use. The hardest part for me was the prep work...I had several rusty spots that I had to fill. It is just like painting something with a roller. I wasn't too concerned with a "professional" look since I have bodywork by "Sawzall" and a few trees from East Tennessee, but I was extremely impressed. I had never done anything like this before. I just taped off straight lines at all edges and it looks really good, just like spray in liners that I have seen. I would recommend several coats. I put in 2 and there are a couple of spots that need to be touched up a little. I didn't worry about covering any seat holes with tape. I just rolled it over them and planned on threading the screw/bolt through them. I only had 1 hole get fully covered! 1 gallon was enough to do my entire bed (inside), bed rails, and front area (except for the doors) and I still have a couple of inches (of Herculiner!!) left in the can. I plan on doing my roll bar with it. That was a great thread by the way. I have sent it to sooo many people...

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Have any pics showing how the outside turned out?

19. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

20. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Any words of wisedom on using a "underbody" or Shotz gun to spray it on? I've got a gallon of gray Durabak waiting for me to do my interior. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif