Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculiner sound levels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 4, 2005.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I didn't like the halfcab conversion I did because it wasn't reallly a Jimmy anymore and I messed the back seat. I don't want to put carpet back in it because I might go with a soft top and the fact that I don't have the carpet anymore. If the soft top works out I don't want to have to worry about water issues in the rear of the truck. So I thought about Herculining it and want to know if the Herculiner reduces the sound levels any. From what little driving I have done, I'm pretty sure the noise levels are going to be unbearable....40 series Deltaflow, 3" exhuast and no cat. Has anybody noticed any significant decrease in sound levels after applying Herculiner? I have searched and found one post stating it was still loud with it in there. I'm pretty sure the hardtop acts a huge echo chamber so maybe the soft top won't act the same?

2. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I didn't notice any sound deadening from installing herculiner

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got my whole interior herculined, wasnt too loud, but ive got the stock exhuast for now. you could probably put some mats down in the back to help reduce the muffler noise i guess

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If there is a difference between bare steel and herculined steel, I couldn't detect it. It pretty much doesn't offer any sound deadening at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, I don't think the guys that make it claim it deadens sound.

j

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was kind of afraid it wouldn't offer very much for sound deadening. Has anybody installed sound deadening on the underside of the bed? Bare with me on this one....I had bought a piece of Dynamat that was self adhesive and had a heat reflective side to it. You used a hard wood roller to apply it. I installed it on the skin of my roof under the headliner. As far as I know it hasn't come unstuck, I guess I could pull the headliner to see. I had the idea of covering the underside of the bed with something of the same sort as long as you got the underside nice and clean, then you could Herculiner the inside and still not have to worry about water/elements inside the cab.

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Definitely no sound deadening

7. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

it actually did deaden the soude a little
    it was moticable anyway
    but i had nothing in the back b4 just the bare sheetmetal and the hardtop was on
    then lined the inside and undercoated parts of the underside and the sound difference was noticable

more deadened the rattling and noise from the sheetmetal than exhaust noise tho

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i was concerned about sound levels in my truck too, as well as weather issues, so i picked up some boat capeting - it's water proof. you can put carpet padding beneath it if you attatch it properly so that no water can leak in from the sides. However, take this with a grain of salt b/c i haven't even had my truck on the road yet b/c the motor is still in the shop. :) i hope it works well for sound tho b/c i've got the 6.2 diesel, and eventually it will have a turbo and exhaust. so if my motors not too loud in my cab - then i think i may have found a good combo. anyway, just an idea. it's like $4.50 per linear foot at lowe's - so i got it for 6 sq. ft. for $4.50. cost me under a hundred bux for all the floor materials - adhesives and whatnot.

colbystephens.

9. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

i put carpet back in eventually aand padding kinda got tired of all the interior noise after awhile loud is cool for awhile but when your drivin it all the time and highway driving the constant roar of the exhaust get alittle old after a few hours at 70-80mph
    not too worried about it getting wet anymore with it being lined and wont have the wet carpet and padding sitting against bare sheetmetal until it dries

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That's kind of what I was thinking about doing. Lining the tub and then put the factory sound deadener back in and maybe a rear bed mat, the thick rubber kind. However the boat carpet is also a good idea.

11. colbystephens

my concern about this would be mildew in the padding. the carpet would probably be fine, but that padding can get pretty nasty when it's wet and it will never dry since it doesn't have any air to breathe.

colbystephens.

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I thought about the same thing. That's why I think I wouldn't put the padding back in, just the blak sound deadening stuff with something on top of it, bed mat, marine carpet, etc

13. colbystephens

LMC has a pretty cool PVC flooring that may be just perfect for you, if you're not going to go with carpet.

colbystephens.

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, if you want to run herculiner... just use some of the heavy floormats that you can find in JC Whitney or LMC or whatever... if it ever gets nasty under that, all you have to do is pull it, spray it out with a hose and you're done.

j

15. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Anybody have thoughts on the underside Dynamat or equiv. coating?

16. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

yea i wouldn't wanna leave it out in the rain with the top off or anything (which is actually why i tore the carpet up and lined it in the first place)
    but does get alittle wet sometimes the softop doesnt seal quite watertight
    just when the carpet does get alittle wet i don't worry about it
    it will dry up pretty quick