Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculiner VS. Duplicolor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 2, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of taking the nasty carpet out of the back of my burb and covering the are from behind the rear seat to the back doors with either herculiner or duplicolor. I dont know much about either but I do know alot of people have used herculiner and like it but TXsizeK5 used duplicolor in the rear of his blazer and likes it prety well. Has anyone used both or had bad experiences with either? If they are basically the same I'll just go with the cheaper one. Thx

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I have the herculiner in my blazer and I dont like it. under our feet its fine, in the cargo area its all chiped up from my gear. Yes its beeter then carpet(I'll never go back) but if you can afford the real stuf do it.For me to get Rhino done now it will be harder becase I'll have to remove the Herculiner first.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Theres no chipping in my duplicolor, only some scratches and some torn off where we dumped and moved around my 3/4 ton axle around when I was hualing it, but im sure that heavy beast woulda scratched professional rhinoliner!

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I know one guy that has used Herculiner and it worked ok for him and I know another guy and it has done so good I'm going to use Durabak You mite want to give this stuff a look

Eric

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive used both and i prefeer duplicolor, it dosent fade as bad, and its cheeper, both hold up to about the same amount of abuse, but unlike the spray in kind if you chip it or tearit up you can do a touch up with a paint brush

6. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

Look up MORTONS bed liner spray on kits

7. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

I've always liked the idea of having some sort of pad in there, but obviously hate the rust issues. My thoughts are to coat with the liner of your choice, then put some carpet/rubber mat over it. If you're gonna get real dirty, you can take the mat out, but for everyday use, I like the softer feel of a mat/carpet. Plus, your rust issues are gone if you do a good job with the liner.

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

all carpet and rubber mats do are hold in moisture. I'd advise against having it! Goodluck in your choice.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but if you've done a good job applying your liner, who cares, Rhino don't rust. Having something that is easily rolled up and removed for cleaning purposes has no downside that I see. Plus, they also serve as a sound/temperature barrier.

I'm not singing the praises of carpet here, but I rarely hear about people using a combiniation of liners and pads. Let's face it, most people aren't going to need to hose out there tub every week and sometimes a little softer floor is nice. I just like the idea of having something that might be a little nicer on the knees if I'm crawling around back there.

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yea I can vouch for that, i was cleaning it out earlier today and crawlin around hurt my knees, but its SO EASY TO CLEAN! lol.

11. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

I've used Herculiner before in a pickup truck bed & wasn't particularly impressed with the durability. Don't believe ANY 1-part liner will even begin to approach the durability of the commercially applied bedliners. I think the better DIY alternative would be a 2-part system. Rust-Oleum, for one, makes such a product. Sells for $29.97 (good for 8' bed) on the sportsmansguide.com website but you could probably find it at your local hardware/DIY store.

Good luck.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

pretty much my entire interior is herculined... i totally dig it. cheap, easy, and it works. what else is there?

if i was rich, sure, my entire rig... inside and out... would be Line-X'ed... but i aint rich. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

j

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I've had Duplicolor on my truck and it's lasted longer then the Herculiner. I won a quart of Herculiner during Blazerfest in 2001. I applied it about a week after I did my Duplicolor. The Duplicolor is on my doors and rocker panels. Going strong. The Herculiner is on my tailgate on the inside. It's chipped and coming off. I don't like the fact it's a dirt catcher either.... I found if you put 2 thin coats of Duplicolor on it works well. If you get too thick then it'll peel....

14. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

Was one quart enough for the job? I pulled up the carpet in the Blazer last fall and it was moist as heck under there. I have been thinking of using Duplicolor on mine.(throw a mat down for added protection when needed) That's cool that you won it, how much does a quart go for and is a quart enough for my Blazer or should I get a gallon? How much of a pain is it for a newbie like me, to do? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

15. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How long have you had the duplicolor on there?

16. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hi! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    I am researching this a bit today - if I ever get a warm week here (it is 21° right now and snowing) I want to do a bedliner. I have just vinyl floor right now but I took some out yesterday. There was a damp pad underneath. Yuk! From what I understand you need a whole gallon to do the whole floor. Duplicolor is $39.99 at the Walmart here and the installation kit is another $10. I think I'm going with that. My hubby is pushing for Herc but I think he can do his own truck in Herc so we can compare. I'm all for saving a few bucks, too!
    As far as ease of installation I just keep reading how important the prep is. My thought is that getting the seats & everything else that is mounted, out of there and then taping off everything, including bolt holes, will be the hardest part. At least we don't have to worry about a hootus!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks for bring this up Andrea. "Pick up Herc" was actually on my list of things to do today. Now I'm intrigued by the Rustoleum epoxy listed above. Has anyone tried it? I think I'll make a new post since the title on this one is "Herv v. Dup"...

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How long have you had the duplicolor on there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess it helps if I read the post again huh... um, it was July of 2001 I won the quart of Heculiner. I painted it right before my birthday in Sept of 2001. The Duplicolor is still here and going strong. I really want to remove it though. Not because it's bad, cuz it's not. Not faded, and the chips in it and from me doing dumb stuff. Like I was moving a nerf bar and bashed my rocker panel. Kinda removed some paint... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The Herculiner is there too, but it's gross (I set muddy stuff on top of it. It dried on there, then got wet again and turned into this nice sludge and it's caked in the pores... and really chipped up. Anyhow reason I want to remove the Duplicolor is I want to camo my whole truck in something called Durabak. I'd do it in Duplicolor but they don't have the colors I want...

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Well my mom bought me a bucket of duplicolor and the install kit for my b-day so I'll let y'all know how mine turns out. Thx guys

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im going to liner my cab...and then buy some of those heavy duty place mats and put it in the foot weels..