Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Herculing my custom bumper w/swing out, got a couple ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jul 5, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about Herculining my new rear bumper and was wondering what type of UV protectant to put on it to keep it shiny. I wasn't planning on coating it with Herc, but I want something that will last better than paint and powdercoat. I know powdercoating makes it shiny but it as prone to chiping as paint. (The guy who powdercoated my wheels informed me of this) So if any of you guys have any ideas of a bedliner type product or something that will stand up to rock dings and such, I'm all ears and what type of UV protectant should I use?

Thanks guys
    Ross

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

cant offer UV protection advice but remember that herculiner is very granual. It does not com out anywheres near to smooth uniform coverage. I did a bumper with it and was not to happy with the results. Just some input. It was a truck bumper and came out quite ruff!

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You can thin out Herculiner with XYLOL. It is still rough. But not as bad.. You can use any UV prodectat(sp) That you can get at a Hardware store..Just get the clear finish..Not the mat finish..

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

After you paint it with the herculier, and it dries, spray paint it with some glossy rustoleum. I did mine last year and it looks as good as the day I rolled it all over my blazer. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, anybody else have any ideas??